This Bunny Bait Easter snack mix is sweet and salty and filled with all your favorite things: pretzels, cereal, M&M’s and more! This quick Easter treat is great for munching on or for party favors and goodie bags.
What is bunny bait?
Bunny bait is a popular Easter snack mix that is made up of chocolate candies, different cereals, pretzels, nuts, and additional mix-ins topped with a chocolate drizzle. It’s kind of like a trail mix but specifically fit for the Easter holiday — or the spring season, in general!
What You’ll Need
- Cheerios: The regular kind is fine (or can use the multi-grain variety) for this since we’ll be adding additional flavors.
- Rice Chex cereal: I also use rice Chex for my favorite muddy buddies recipe!
- Pretzels: You can use the traditional kind, the sticks, or the thin crisps.
- Salted cashew or dry roasted peanuts: This adds a healthy aspect of the mix and a yummy nutty flavor.
- White chocolate chips: Or you can use white candy melts.
- Coconut oil: This will be added to the chocolate to create our chocolate drizzle. Using coconut oil makes the chocolate easier to melt and so silky smooth!
- Easter colored M&M’s: I used PB M&M eggs because they are my favorite Easter candy and I’m literally obsessed with them.
- Toasted sweetened shredded coconut: Optional but really good!
How to Make Bunny Bait
- Prep the baking sheet.
Line with parchment paper.
In a large bowl add the cereals, pretzels and nuts.
- Melt chocolate.
In a microwave safe bowl add the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Microwave until melted and smooth, stirring every 30 seconds.
Pour chocolate into the large bowl with the mixed cereal. Stir. Add M&M’s and shredded coconut and stir again.
- Let set.
Spread the mixture flat on a baking sheet so that the white chocolate can set and harden.
Tools Used to Make This Recipe
Mixing bowls: These bowls are used on a daily basis in my home. I love the grippy bottoms, the pour spout, and the differing sizes.
Cookie sheet: This recipe will fit on a regular sized baking sheet.
This is a great recipe to make and then portion into bags for gifting!
Nuts are optional, I like the whole ‘sweet and salty” snack concept so I wanted to add an additional salty portion to the mix.
Coconut is optional as well (my son loves coconut so I add it whenever I get the chance), you don’t need it but it adds a subtle flavor that is really good.
I’m obsessed with the Easter M&M PB eggs, so I will find any excuse to use those!
Store in an airtight or ziplock bag for 1-2 weeks.
Additional Spring Recipes
If you make this recipe and love it, I would be so grateful if you come back to leave a 5-star rating and review. This helps others find the recipe easier. Thank you! ❤️
- 3 cups Cheerios
- 3 cups Rice Chex cereal
- 1 1/2 cups pretzels
- 1/2 cup salted cashews - or dry roasted peanuts (optional, you can omit if you don't want nuts)
- 2 cups white chocolate chips - can also use white candy melts
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 1/2 cups Easter colored M&M's - I LOVE the peanut butter M&M eggs so I always use those! You'll need 1 – 9 oz bag (but you can always add more M&M's so add more or less to your liking!)
- 1/2 cup toasted sweetened shredded coconut
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large bowl combine the cheerios, Chex cereal, pretzels and cashews.
- In a microwave safe bowl combine the chocolate chips and coconut oil. Melt on half power stirring every 30 seconds until melted and smooth.
- Pour the melted chocolate into the large bowl full of the mixed cereal. Stir to combine. Add the M&M’s and shredded coconut and stir to combine once more.
- Spread mixture on a baking sheet to let set. This is a great recipe to make and then portion into bags for gifting!