Lemon Pasta Recipe
This Lemon Pasta Recipe is made with whole wheat noodles that are bathed in a light lemon cream sauce, then topped with a sprinkling of freshly chopped parsley. If this isn’t on your dinner menu for this week, add it!
Everyone should have a handful of reliable 30 minute meals that can be busted out on short notice. Lucky for you (and me) this this Lemon Pasta Recipe only takes 15 minutes to make! Added bonus that this pasta is delish, refreshing, and filling.
Easy Lemon Pasta Ingredients
I’m full of good news today; for this dish you need only a few ingredients:
- Whole wheat spaghetti noodles, cooked until al dente. When boiling the spaghetti noodles remember to save at least 1 cup of drained pasta water, you’ll use this water to in the lemon pasta sauce.
- Heavy cream; for a healthier option opt for half & half but know that the sauce won’t be as thick and creamy.
- 1-2 lemons, zested and juiced.
- Freshly grated parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley
Lemon Pasta Sauce
To make the pasta sauce add the heavy cream and lemon zest to a skillet set over medium heat. Whisk until the liquid begins to simmer. Once simmering, reduce the heat to low and add in the butter.
Stir the butter in until it has fully melted. Once melted whisk in the lemon juice.
Add the parmesan cheese to the sauce and stir until combined.
Place the cooked noodles in the sauce; using kitchen tongs mix the pasta until it has been covered by the lemon pasta sauce.
Add 1/4 cup of the pasta water to the noodles/sauce until you get a nice saucy consistency. I ended up using close to 3/4 cup of the pasta water.
Season the lemon pasta with salt and pepper.
Divide the pasta among bowls and garnish with additional parmesan and chopped parsley.
Tips for making or adapting this lemon pasta recipe
To add a deep level of flavor to this dish you can do multiple things:
- Replace the parmesan cheese with Romano cheese (How Sweet Eats did this and it’s delish). Romano cheese has a sharp, piquant flavor. I love parmesan so that’s almost always my cheese of choice, and the parmesan gives it a softer and more subtle flavor.
- Add asparagus to the dish! I love asparagus in pasta, for example my Goat Cheese and Asparagus Spinach Pasta, it’s amazing! Make it, it’s so yummy!
- For a burst of heat add a pinch or a 1/4 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to the lemon pasta sauce. If you choose to go this route I would add the red pepper flakes at the same time you add the butter. Then proceed with the recipe as written.
Check out these lemon and/or pasta recipes on my site, you’re gonna love ’em!
- Lemon Honey Glazed Salmon
- Lemon Poppy Seed Scones
- Lemon Poppy Seed Cake
- Pesto Pasta with Zucchini
- Easy Pesto Pasta
- Easy Baked Ziti Recipe
If you make this recipe or any other recipe on the blog please come back and leave a review. If you take a picture of your food creations tag #saltandbaker and share it on social media so that I can see what you made!
And don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER. You’ll receive new recipe posts, newsletters, and so much more!
Lemon Pasta Recipe
- 12 oz whole wheat spaghetti
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 lemon - zested and juiced
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 3 tablespoons parsley - chopped
- reserved pasta water
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook pasta until al dente in a large pot of heavily salted boiling water. Don’t overcook the pasta! Drain the pasta and reserve 1 cup of pasta water.
- In a skillet over medium low heat add the heavy cream and zest of 1 lemon. Whisk until the liquid begins to simmer. Once simmering, reduce heat to low and add in the butter. Stir the butter until it has fully melted.
- Stir in the lemon juice.
- Add the parmesan to the cream sauce, stir until combined.
- Place the noodles in the sauce. Using kitchen tongs, mix the pasta until it has been covered by the sauce.
- Add ¼ cup of the pasta water until you get a nice saucy consistency. Season with salt and pepper. *
- Divide pasta among bowls and garnish with additional parmesan and chopped parsley.