This delicious side dish is more of a dessert but can be used as a side dish or "salad"! Full of vanilla pudding, cool whip, pineapple chunks, mandarins, and topped with fudge stripe cookies! Everyone loves this salad!
Servings: 8 servings
- 5.1 oz package instant vanilla pudding
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 11 oz can madnarin oranges - drained
- 20 oz can pineapple tidbits - drained, can also use pineapple chunks
- 1 package fudge stripe cookies - crumbled into chunks and refrigerated
- 8 oz cool whip
In a medium bowl mix the pudding and buttermilk until smooth. Stir in the cool whip.
Add drained fruit and mix. Crumble cookies and stir just before serving.
Store in the fridge covered, for up to 3 days.
If I know we’ll have leftovers, I will hold out the cookies and add the to individual servings so that they don’t get soft.
Be sure to use store-bought whipped topping/cool whip. Homemade whipped cream doesn't stay firmly whipped as long as store-bought does.
Fully drain each can of fruit so there isn't any liquid. If you have lingering liquid then the cream mixture will be more liquidy than fluffy. Can also use fresh pineapple and mandarins if you'd like.
- Make a cookie salad parfait: using individual cups, put some of the cream mixture at the bottom, add a few cookie chunks, a dollop of whipped cream and repeat until the cup is full. Top with a cookie and serve as individual parfaits.
- Turn this into a cookie salad trifle: In a trifle dish, layer cream mixture, cookie chunks, whipped topping, and repeat until the trifle dish is full. For added flair, you can put full cookies outward facing on the edge of the trifle dish for a cookie-exposed look.
- Turn it into a pie: Make my homemade graham cracker crust, fill the crust with the cookie salad and store in the fridge to chill.