Lemon Zucchini Bread
This delicious Lemon Zucchini Bread recipe is loaded with fresh lemon zest and grated zucchini then topped with a sweet lemon glaze. This is a great recipe to make if you have extra zucchini laying around the house.
Zucchini is one of those ingredients you can add to just about anything and it just works. Honestly, the vegetable is practically tasteless so it really doesn’t matter.
But isn’t it funny how whenever one makes something with zucchini in it we always highlight the fact that there’s zucchini (aka a vegetable) in said recipe.
Chocolate chip zucchini bread… super good! In fact, it’s one of my favorite ways to use zucchini. The green vegetable goes practically unnoticed despite the 2 cups of grated zucchini in the recipe, but nobody is complaining about that. We just want to taste the spices and flavors, chocolate chips, OH and seeing the speckles of dark green zucchini are nice too. They reassure us that we are in fact eating a vegetable.
Lemon Zucchini Bread Recipe
So I guess that’s how this recipe goes too. It’s essentially a lemon quick bread with grated zucchini in it.
But hey! I’m not complaining about adding vegetables to delicious food, I’m all for it!
I hope you are too! Grab some fresh lemons and a zucchini and head into the kitchen. I’m going to walk you through the process of how to make this easy lemon zucchini bread, and trust me, it’s easy.
How to make Lemon Zucchini Bread
I always begin by prepping my sheet pan or in this case, bread pan. Grease and flour the bread pan to prevent the loaf from sticking. Once the pan is prepped set it aside.
Grate the zucchini with a box grater; set the zucchini aside. As you can see from the picture above, I didn’t peel the zucchini before shredding it. It’s A-OK to leave the skin on when baking with zucchini.
To the bowl of a stand mixer add the granulated sugar and fresh lemon zest. Using your fingers, rub the zest into the sugar until evenly combined.
Add the eggs and oil to the sugar and beat on medium speed for 2 minutes or until the mixture is slightly lighter in color.
Add the vanilla to the bowl and mix again.
In a separate bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt; add half of the mixed dry ingredients into the egg and sugar mixture. Mix until almost combined, some flour streaks remaining. With the mixer on low add the sour cream, and then add the remaining flour mixture and mix until just combined.
Using a rubber spatula, fold in the grated zucchini.
Bake the Lemon Zucchini Bread
Pour the lemon zucchini bread batter into the greased and floured bread pan.
Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
Remove the loaf from the oven and cool on a wire rack for 5-10 minutes; then remove the loaf from the bread pan and allow it to cool completely.
Make the Glaze
Everything tastes better with a glaze, right?
To make the glaze combine 1 cup of powdered sugar and 2 tablespoons of fresh lemon juice. Whisk until it reaches a smooth glaze consistency.
Drizzle the glaze over the cooled loaf. Let set for a few minutes, or dive in and eat!
If you like this quick bread recipe check out these zucchini and lemon recipes:
- Pesto Pasta with Zucchini and Ricotta
- Lemon Ricotta Cookies
- Sheet Pan Italian Sausage Vegetable Bake
- Lemon Honey Glazed Salmon
If you make this Lemon Zucchini Bread recipe or any other recipe on my blog come back and leave a comment! I want to hear all about your cooking and baking adventures.
And remember to subscribe to Salt & Baker so that we can stay forever friends; because let’s be honest, the internet is huge and I want you to come back and try more of my recipes. I have some really good ones coming your way!
Lemon Zucchini Bread
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest about the zest of 2-3 lemons
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup sour cream I used full fat, but you can use any kind
- 1 cup zucchini grated
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9x5” loaf pan, set aside.
- Place the shredded zucchini on a paper towel and lightly dab the zucchini so that it's not so wet. Don't ring it out; we just don't want the zucchini to be sopping wet.
- In a medium size bowl combine the sugar and lemon zest. Using your fingers, rub the lemon zest and sugar between your fingers until the lemon zest has been evenly combined in the sugar. Add the eggs and oil to the sugar. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes or until slightly lighter in color.
- Add the vanilla and mix until combined.
- In a medium sized bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, and salt. Pour half of the dry ingredients into the egg and sugar mixture. Mix until barely combined, there will be streaks of flour remaining. With the mixer on low, add the sour cream and the remaining flour mixture. Mix until just combined, do not over mix.
- Using a rubber spatula, fold in the zucchini.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan and bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire rack for 5-10 minutes, then remove from the bread pan and cool on wire rack completely.
- Whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice until smooth. If glaze is too thin, add more powdered sugar. If glaze is too thick add more lemon juice.
- Drizzle glaze over the cooled loaf.