Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Crumb Topping
Y’all know how much I love baked lemon goods! I hope you do too, because today I’m sharing these Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with a crumb topping and zesty lemon glaze.
Why you’ll love this recipe
These muffins are moist and flavorful.
Now, in addition to that you get an added depth of flavor from the brown sugar crumb topping. (Oh my gosh, I love brown sugar).
And on top of that, we add a sweet lemon glaze. (I mean, how could I not glaze these bad boys).
Yum. Yum. YUM!!
It would be a complete disservice if I fail to mention this recipe is quite simple and it uses basic pantry and kitchen ingredients. The instructions are easy to follow as well. 👊🏼
There are a 3 different portions to this recipe, the crumb topping, muffin batter, and lemon glaze. I will briefly cover the ingredients needed for each portion of the recipe.
Butter (melted), flour, brown sugar, sugar.
Butter, granulated sugar, eggs, vanilla, vegetable oil, lemon zest and juice, salt, baking powder and soda, flour, sour cream, and poppy seeds.
Powdered sugar and fresh lemon juice.
How to make Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins
- Make the crumb topping. Mix the melted butter with the flour, and sugar until combined. (See photo above). Set this aside until ready to use.
- Make the lemon poppy seed muffin batter. Cream the butter and sugar then add the eggs, vanilla, lemon zest and lemon juice, and oil. Beat until combined. Mix in the dry ingredients and poppy seeds until about halfway combined, then add the sour cream. Mix until just combined, be careful not to over mix the batter.
- Portion batter into muffin tins. The easiest way to portion the batter is by using a large cookie scoop. The tins will be about 3/4 full.
- Top batter with crumb topping. Place the crumb topping over each muffin. Gently press the crumb topping into the batter. (Not necessary, but does help a little).
- Bake the muffins. The muffins will bake for approximately 19-20 minutes. You’ll know the muffins are done baking when a toothpick inserted in the center of the muffin comes out mostly clean, or with a few moist crumbs but NO wet batter. Let the muffins cool.
- Glaze the muffins. Once the muffins are mostly cool (they can still be warm), drizzle the glaze over each one.
You can make plain lemon poppy seed muffins by eliminating the crumb topping. The baking times will be similar, but one piece of advice would be to check for doneness about 2 minutes earlier than noted in the recipe.
More Muffin Recipes
Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins with Crumb Topping
- 1/2 cup butter - melted
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons brown sugar - packed
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup butter - at room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs - at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- zest of 2 lemons
- 4 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sour cream - I use full fat.
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Make the crumb topping: In a medium bowl melt the butter. Add the flour, brown sugar, and granulated sugar to the melted butter. Using a fork, stir until the mixture is combined and only small pieces remain. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with cupcake liners. Set aside.
- In bowl of a stand mixer fitted with paddle attachment cream the butter and sugar on medium speed for 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Mix in the eggs, one at a time until combined. Add the vanilla, oil, lemon zest, lemon juice and beat until combined.
- Add the salt, baking powder, baking soda, flour, and poppy seeds, and mix until combined (but don’t overmix). Add the sour cream to the batter and mix until no streaks remain
- Using a large cookie scoop, portion the batter in the muffin liners. This will make about 15 muffins.
- Sprinkle the crumb topping over each muffin.
- Bake for 19-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean or with a few moist crumbs. Remove from oven and let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Drizzle the lemon glaze overtop each muffin.
- To make the glaze: whisk the powdered sugar and lemon juice together in a small bowl.