Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These soft and chewy Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies will become a new go-to cookie recipe. The sweet and ever-so-slightly salty cookie base pairs beautifully with the semi-sweet chocolate. When baked the edges are slightly crisp and the centers are soft and chewy (perfect cookie anatomy if you ask me!!)
What are Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies?
These cookies are similar to classic chocolate chip cookies except they have an additional ingredient. Yep, you guessed it… TAHINI.
What is tahini? Tahini is a paste made from ground, toasted sesame seeds.
Can you taste the tahini in these cookies? Yes, the flavor is very subtle, but still comes through.
My husband ate multiple cookies in one evening and finally confronted me about it by asking, “What did you put in those cookies?! They’re very addicting. I’ll sit down and eat one, but minutes later I have to eat another. It’s like I can’t stop.”
I explained to him that he was eating tahini chocolate chip cookies. He literally had no idea what tahini was and asked, “Does it have addictive properties in it?” 😂 Umm, no. I guess the cookies are just THAT good!
This is a true story by the way.
To make these amazing cookies you’ll need basic chocolate chip cookie ingredients such as:
- Unsalted butter – don’t use salted as this recipe has a fair amount of salt added to it already.
- Tahini – make sure the tahini is well stirred. You can make your own homemade tahini, if that interests you.
- Brown sugar – keeps the cookies moist and helps the cookies be chewier.
- Granulated sugar – adds sweetness and helps the cookies crisp and turn golden when baking.
- Egg – brings structure and stability to the cookie, also adds moisture.
- Egg yolk – is a fat that adds flavor and richness.
- Vanilla – for flavor.
- Kosher salt – adds flavor.
- Baking soda – leavening agent.
- Baking powder – leavening agent, helps the cookies rise when in the oven.
- All purpose flour – I haven’t tried this recipe with gluten free flour, but if you’d like to give it a try I suggest you use this flour from Bob’s Red Mill.
How to make Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Make the cookie dough. Cream the butter, sugars, and tahini in a large bowl or bowl of a stand mixer. Add the egg and yolks, and vanilla. Mix in the dry ingredients.
- Mix in the chocolate chips.
- Cover and chill the dough. Chilling the dough allows the flavors to meld and helps the cookies be chewier.
- Scoop the dough into 2 tablespoon sized cookie dough balls. Place them on a parchment (or silicone mat) lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 13-16 minutes in a 325°F oven. The cookies are done with the edges are lightly golden brown but still pale in the middle of the cookies.
- Let cool for 5 minutes on the baking sheet, then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
FAQ and Tips for Success
Can I use homemade tahini in this recipe? Yes!
Does the cookie dough need to chill for the full 12 hours? Yes and no. It’s not 100% necessary, but if you forgo doing it the cookies will be slightly different in flavor and texture.
If you want to add a deeper flavor to the cookies you can brown the butter. If doing this, brown the butter and then let the butter re-solidify before creaming it with the sugar and tahini.
Can you make these into gluten-free tahini cookies? I haven’t done this personally, however, I suggest you use Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1-to-1 Baking Flour found here on Amazon if you’d like to try.
Recipes with tahini in them
More chocolate chip cookie recipes
- Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
- Crumbl Chocolate Chip Cookie
- Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Classic Chocolate Chip Cookies
Tahini Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/2 cup tahini well stirred
- 3/4 cup brown sugar packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup + 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, or bowl of a stand mixer (fitted with paddle attachment), cream the butter, tahini, and sugars. Beat on medium speed for 3-4 mins, scrape down the bowl 1-2 times during the creaming process. Add the egg, egg yolk, and vanilla and beat until combined.
- In a medium bowl whisk the salt, soda, powder, and flour. Transfer to the wet ingredients and mix till combined.
- Mix in the chocolate chips with a spatula. Cover the bowl and refrigerate for 12 hours (helps bind the cookies).
- Remove from fridge, scoop into 2 T sized balls (will make about 14-18 balls).
- Place on parchment lined baking sheet and bake at 325°F for 13-15minutes. Cookies are done when the edges are getting lightly golden brown but still pale in the middles. Remove, let rest on sheet for 5 mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.