Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
You’ll probably never guess the secret ingredient that makes these the BEST Double Chocolate Chip Cookies ever!
I won’t keep you waiting… it’s cream cheese. Yep. Cream cheese makes these chocolate cookies rich, ultra soft, thick, and chewy!
I’m sure you’re thinking, “Why would you put cream cheese in a cookie?!” It sounds a bit bizarre if you’ve never done it before, but the cream cheese adds a nice flavor to the cookie. It also has a higher melting point, so when these bake in the oven they don’t spread or thin out as much as a regular cookies made with butter.
Let’s discuss flavor for a second. Do you like chocolate? Or perhaps fudgy desserts? Ok GOOD! Because these cookies are perfectly fudgy. They taste like brownie cookies! It’s the best chocolate cookie recipe to satisfy every chocolate lovers sweet tooth.
Why you’ll love these cookies
What’s not to love about a chocolate cookie? As we discussed earlier, the secret to these chocolate fudge cookies lies in the ingredients and the use of cream cheese rather than butter. I love how the cream cheese makes for a really soft and tender cookie.
Personally, I think some major bonus points should be awarded because you don’t need to chill this cookie dough. A handful of my cookie recipes require chilling the dough, but this one doesn’t need it. 🙌🏼 These soft chocolate cookies can be made, baked, and in your mouth within 20 minutes!
TWENTY MINUTES! In your mouth!
I could go on and on about why you’ll love these, but instead I thought I’d share a few comments from readers who have made these cookies:
Deborah said, “These are the best cookies! Grandkids and made a batch to send to the Dad overseas. He hasn’t even received the first batch yet and we started a second! A new favorite for sure.”
And Laurie commented, “I just made these. I was not sure about the cream cheese but tried it anyway. I did substitute melted butter for the oil because…butter. They are incredible! These are going in my real recipe book and will be a permanent addition to Christmas cookies.”
How to make the BEST Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Combine the dry ingredients. In a medium bowl whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- Cream the sugar and cream cheese. Mix the sugar and cream cheese until smooth and creamy. Then add oil, egg, and vanilla extract and mix again. The oil adds moisture and a nice richness to the cookie.
- Combine wet + dry. Once the wet ingredients are fully mixed together, add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir or fold in the chocolate chips. The dough will be thick.
- Scoop. Use a 2 tablespoon sized cookie scoop to portion out the dough. Place the cookie dough balls on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Bake. Bake at 350°F for 9-11 minutes or until set. Be careful not to over bake the cookies. Over baked cookies turn out to be dry (and hard)… we want to avoid this!
- Store. Once the cookies have baked, remove them from the oven and transfer them to a wire rack to cool completely. Cookies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for 1 day, but any longer they should be stored in the refrigerator due to the cream cheese in the cookies.
Can we just admire the melty chocolate chips for a second. Oh my gosh! Seriously, these cookies are the best!
I hope you make them soon!
If you like these double chocolate chip cookies, you’ll love:
- Chocolate Orange Cookies
- Soft Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
- Crumbl Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Chocolate Chip Cookies
- My Famous No-Bake Cookies
- Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Chocolate Eclair Cake
If you make this recipe or any other recipe from Salt & Baker, please come back to leave a rating and review. Your comments are so helpful to me and other readers! Thank you!!
Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer combine the sugar and cream cheese. Beat on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, oil, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until combined. Add the chocolate chips and mix.
- Use a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop and scoop out dough. Place on the cookie sheet leaving about 2 inches between each cookie.
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until set. Be careful not to over bake!
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
This post was first published April 28, 2018 and has been updated with new pictures and clearer instructions on January 16, 2020.