Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches are the official go-to treat for the summer! Adults and kids gobble these perfectly portioned ice cream sandwiches right up!
Have you made my Double Chocolate Chip Cookies yet?! Add it to your to-do list! But really, the cookies (and the cookie dough) tastes amazing! In fact, it was the double chocolate chip cookies that inspired these Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches!
I had some leftover Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream sitting in my freezer a few weeks ago and wanted to make something new. I’ve received a lot of comments and messages from readers telling me just how much they’ve loved the Double Chocolate Chip Cookies. So I decided to use that chocolate cookie base (minus the chocolate chips), and use it for ice cream sandwiches!
Think of allll the ice cream cookie sandwich combinations you can make! You could make ice cream cookies with gingersnap cookies, chocolate chip cookies, sprinkle cookies, oatmeal zucchini cookies, pumpkin cookies, cake box cookies, sugar cookies, the list goes on and on!
This ice cream sandwich is a classic. You have a rich and creamy vanilla ice cream sandwiched by two soft and chewy chocolate cookies. This ice cream sandwich is guaranteed to bring a smile to everyones face who eats this simple and fun dessert.
Tips for making the perfect ice cream sandwich
Don’t overcook the cookies. When you place ice cream between two cookies they’ll get harder (because they’re getting cold from the ice cream). You want to have a soft cookie so that you can bite into the ice cream sandwich without breaking your teeth, and risking the sandwich crumbling to a million pieces.
Thick cookies. But not too thick. This double chocolate cookie recipe produces a plump and thick cookie! In fact, you’ll notice in the recipe directions that I instruct you to lightly flatten the cookie with your palm. I do this so that the cookies won’t bake into a dome shape. The slightly flattened cookie will make for easier eating, better structure, and perfect ice cream to cookie ratios.
The finishing touch that ensures you’ve made the perfect ice cream cookie sandwich is to add some nice texture. When I say texture I mean, mini chocolate chips! After assembling the ice cream cookies, roll the ice cream portion in mini chocolate chips. This small addition adds a nice crunch and fun flare!
Have fun with these ice cream cookies! This recipe can be adapted in so many ways. It would be yummy to add a spoonful of caramel between the cookies, or how fun would it be to roll the ice cream portion in Fruity Pebbles or even nerds?!
Craving more? SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there!
Chocolate Cookie Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 3/4 cup natural cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 7 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- In a medium size bowl whisk the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of your stand mixer combine the sugar and cream cheese. Beat on medium speed until creamy, about 2 minutes. Add the egg, oil, and vanilla. Mix until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients. Mix until combined.
- Use a 2 tablespoon cookie scoop and scoop out dough. Place on the cookie sheet leaving about 2 inches between each cookie. Using the palm of your hand, gently press down on each cookie. *
- Bake for 9-11 minutes or until set. Be careful not to over bake!
- Remove from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Assembling the Ice Cream Sandwiches
- Once cooled. Add a scoop of vanilla ice cream to the bottom side of 1 cookie, take another cookie and sandwich together. Immediately roll the ice cream portion in mini chocolate chips. Place in an airtight container to freeze and enjoy later, or you can eat immediately!