These s’mores cookies will bring the summer campfire vibes right into your home! I’m a sucker for chocolate chip cookies and graham crackers, so this cookie recipe is a definite home run for me.
What is a S’mores Cookie?
It’s a delicious cookie loaded with mini marshmallows and chocolate chips then baked on a graham cracker square. To make it extra s’mores-esque it is topped with a Hershey’s chocolate bar.
I’m obsessed with this recipe because I’ve tried adding graham cracker crumbs to cookies in the past, but the graham cracker flavor or crunch never came through. But these cookies are different, they taste just like a campfire s’more… in cookie form!
With these cookies you get the crunch from the graham cracker and the flavor coming through for that full on s’mores cookie effect. The gooey marshmallow is just enough to make you feel like you are eating a s’more without overpowering the chocolate chip cookie base.
S’mores for me are associated with family sitting around the campfire during the summer. If you’re looking for another family s’mores option, check out my Reese’s peanut butter s’mores skillet recipe. It’s a definite crowd pleaser.
This recipe basically features a chocolate chip cookie with lots of mini marshmallows and semi-sweet chocolate chips. Halfway through baking, the cookies will be topped with Hershey’s chocolate bar so I didn’t want to overload the cookie dough with too many chocolate chips. To get started you’ll need basic S’mores ingredients:
- Graham crackers
- Mini marshmallows
- Hershey’s Chocolate Bar
For the cookie dough base, you’ll need:
- All-Purpose Flour: Provides structure to the cookie.
- Baking soda & baking powder: Provides lift to the cookies.
- Salt: A flavor enhancer.
- Cinnamon: The cinnamon in the cookie dough isn’t overly pronounced, it just adds a bit of warmth and interest to the cookie.
- Butter: I like to stick to using unsalted butter. The butter should be at room temperature so that it creams with the sugars seamlessly.
- Brown sugar: Adds moisture to the dough and keeps the cookies soft.
- Granulated sugar: Adds structure and sweetness to the cookie.
- Eggs: The eggs help bind everything together.
- Vanilla extract: Adds flavor!
- Chocolate chips: Use semi-sweet chocolate chips or bittersweet chocolate chips. The Hershey’s milk chocolate bars are fairly sweet so you’ll want that differing chocolate to offset the sweetness.
How to make S’mores Cookies
- Whisk the dry ingredients: the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon.
- Cream the butter and sugars on medium speed for 2-3 minutes. Pro tip: you can use a hand mixer or stand mixer. I LOVE my stand mixer so that’s what I use.
- Add the eggs and vanilla extract, mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients, and mix. Then mix in the chocolate chips and marshmallows.
- Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay graham cracker squares along the bottom of the pan, keeping them close together (practically touching). Also, I would like to point out that this recipe makes 30 cookies, however you will see I only have 29 graham cracker squares in the picture below. I ate a full cookies worth of cookie dough. I’d apologize, but I’m not sorry. The cookie dough was delicious.
- Scoop 2 tablespoon sized balls of dough. Using your palm gently press down on the dough to make it a disk. Set the disk of dough in the middle of each graham cracker square.
- Bake for 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and press Hershey pieces on top.
- Bake for an additional 8-12 minutes. They are done when the edges are golden brown. You can see in the photo below that the cookies run into each other, this is a good thing. It means the graham cracker pieces are fully covered by the cookie! Remove the cookies from the oven, cut/separate the cookies from one another, transfer to a wire rack to cool. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 3-4 days.
Freeze 1 cup of the mini marshmallows prior to making this recipe. This step is optional, but it will keep the marshmallows more intact as you’re mixing the dough. You can freeze all of the marshmallows if you wish, however, I liked that some of the soft mallows were broken up in the cookie dough.
Chilling the dough for 1 hour helps the dough set and flavor develop. Don’t skip this step.
Every oven is different, the baking times in the recipe are guidelines. Your oven might bake faster or slower so watch the cookies and pull them out when they are baked to your likeness.
Store the indoor s’mores cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for 3-4 days.
I hope you enjoy these authentic “make inside” S’mores Cookies!
Did you make this recipe? If so, I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a rating and review, or scroll below the recipe card and do so there.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 11 tablespoons unsalted butter - softened to room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups light brown sugar - packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs - at room temperature
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 3/4 cup mini marshmallows - 1 cup of the mallows frozen prior
- 8.8 oz Hershey's chocolate bar - broken into pieces (2 XL bars)
- 15 graham cracker sheets - broken into squares
- In a medium sized bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugars on medium speed for 2-3 minutes. Add the eggs and vanilla extract and mix until combined.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Stir in the chocolate chips and marshmallows. Cover and chill for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Lay the graham cracker squares along the bottom of the pan, keeping them close together (touching).
- Scoop 2 tablespoon sized balls of dough. Gently press the dough balls down with your palm so that they look like a disk. Place a dough disk in the middle of each graham cracker square.
- Bake for 5 minutes, remove from the oven and press Hershey pieces on top. Bake for an additional 10-12 minutes. They are done when the edges are golden brown. Remove from the oven and cut/separate the cookies from one another. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.