Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
The creamiest, dreamiest Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream you’ll ever make! This chocolate ice cream is custard based to provide the best flavor and texture. Top it with some chocolate curls and shavings and you have an absolute crowd pleasing dessert!
It’s February. I live in Utah. It was 60°F the other day.
What is going on?! We’ve had the most mild winter. You can’t even call it “winter.” I walk outside thinking it’s April because the weather has been so nice.
I’m using that as my excuse for making homemade chocolate ice cream so early this year ? In all honesty, you don’t need warm weather to make or eat ice cream.
If you’re going to take the time to make homemade ice cream. Do it right. Make a custard based ice cream. (Just my opinion!)
A custard type ice cream has egg yolks. Don’t worry you won’t be eating raw eggs. The eggs are tempered (pictured above). Tempering eggs is simply slowly adding a hot liquid to the eggs to bring up the temperature without cooking the eggs too quickly.
If reading that stresses you out, don’t fret. Just follow the instructions in the recipe card below and you’ll be just fine.
Egg yolks give the ice cream a creamy and luxurious texture.
In fact, I had 8 people sample this ice cream and everyone loved it! I use this ice cream maker for all of my frozen treats. This ice cream is so thick and creamy coming out of the ice cream machine! It was the perfect combination of soft ice cream and frozen ice cream (ice cream that has had time to set up in the freezer).
If you prefer a more solid scoop of ice cream take the time to freeze it for a few hours. I garnished this homemade chocolate ice cream with Symphony Bar chocolate shavings. This was a huge hit at my family gathering! I hope you enjoy it as much as we did!
Craving more? Be sure to check out these additional recipes:
- Ice Cream Cake Roll
- Homemade Creamy Vanilla Ice Cream
- Chocolate Sheet Cake
- Greek Yogurt Whipped Cream
SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there!
Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream
- In a saucepan combine the sugar, salt, cocoa powder. Whisk thoroughly so that there are no clumps of cocoa powder. While whisking, slowly add the milk and half and half. Turn the heat to medium-low. Stir constantly and bring to a simmer. (Just when bubbles form on the sides of the pan.) Remove from heat.
- Place the beaten egg yolks in a small bowl. Gradually stir in ½ cup of the hot liquid to the egg yolks. Slowly drizzle the egg yolks back into the saucepan, stirring constantly.
- Place saucepan over low heat. Heat until thickened (it should coat the back of a spoon), but DO NOT BOIL. When using an instant read thermometer mine was 180°F.
- Remove from heat. Stir in the finely chopped chocolate until the chocolate has completely melted.
- Pour the chocolate mixture through a sieve into a large bowl. *
- Place the large bowl full of the chocolate mixture on top of an ice bath. ** Stir every 2 minutes. After 10 minutes place in the fridge for 2 hours or until cold.
- Remove chocolate mixture from fridge. Stir in the cream and vanilla. Pour into an ice cream maker and freeze according to manufacturers directions.
- Place in a bread pan, garnish as desired, cover, and freeze for 3-4 hours if you prefer a firm ice cream consistency.
** I fill my sink with ice cubes and place the bowl on top of the ice cubes. Recipe Source: adapted from All Recipes