Brownie cookies that taste *just* like a brownie! These cookies are sweet, but not overpowering; they’re rich and decadent. You need 1 bowl and 15 minutes. Let’s bake!
Chocolate cookies are making another appearance on Salt & Baker! What can I say?! I love chocolate!
If you’ve been a long time reader, you’ll be familiar with these ultra fudge-y Cosmic Brownies, my crinkle cookies and these thick and chewy double chocolate chip cookies. And don’t forget the Nutella Brownies that are loaded with Nutella!
Now it’s time for brownie cookies!
Brownie in Cookie form
In order to turn a brownie into a cookie, we have to add more flour. So that’s what we do here. Essentially we’re taking a traditional brownie recipe, adding a bit more flour, a little baking powder and rolling the dough into balls to make cookies.
How to make Brownie Cookies
This is a one bowl cookie recipe; which ultimately means less time in the kitchen and more time doing the things you love.
You can make these cookies with a stand mixer or by using hand beaters, either will do.
- In a large bowl combine the cocoa powder, brown sugar, granulated sugar, melted butter, and vegetable oil. Mix until it’s thoroughly combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the egg and vanilla and beat again.
- Make sure to scrape down the sides of the bowl during the process. Doing so ensures that all of the ingredients are fully mixed in.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt. Mix until just combined.
- Lastly, fold in the chocolate chips.
Baking the Cookies
Now that the cookie dough is made, and you’ve sampled the dough one too many times, scoop the dough into 2 tablespoon sized balls and place them on a baking sheet.
You can line the baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. I opted for the silicone baking mat because it’s grippy and (in my opinion) prevents the cookies from spreading as much.
One thing I love about this recipe is that it makes the perfect sized batch of cookies! Not too big and not too small. You’ll get about 15-16 cookies from this recipe, which if you ask me, is perfect! (Just like my small batch no-bake cookies.)
Tips for the Best Brownie Cookies
Use unsalted butter. If you don’t have unsalted butter you can use salted. However, you need to reduce the amount of salt in the recipe otherwise the cookies will be on the saltier side.
Don’t over bake the cookies. Bake for 11-12 minutes. I know every oven is different, so you’ll have to keep an eye on them. Just remember, these cookies will set as they cool.
If you over-bake a cookie, you’ll lose some of the moisture and tenderness.
Bakers Tip: In order to achieve a perfectly baked cookie, you have to under bake just *slightly*.
Looking for more swoon worthy chocolate recipes? Check out these:
- Chocolate Cake Recipe
- Chocolate M&M Cookies – The Salty Marshmallow
- Chocolate Ice Cream
- Dark Chocolate Monster Cookies – Life Made Simple
- Chocolate Fudge – Garnish & Glaze
Craving more? SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER to get new posts, newsletters, and so much more!
- 1/2 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar - packed
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter - melted
- 2 tablespoons + 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1 large egg - room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Line 2 baking sheets with a silicone mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In bowl of stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, thoroughly mix cocoa powder, granulated sugar and brown sugar, butter, and veg. oil. Beat in the egg and vanilla. Scrape down the sides of the bowl so that everything is mixed in.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt to the wet ingredients. Mix until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Scoop the cookie dough into 2 T. sized balls. Place the cookie dough balls on the baking sheet about 2 inches apart from one another.
- Bake for 11-12 mins. Remove from oven and cool on baking sheet for 5-8 mins. Transfer to wire rack to cool completely. **