Special K Candy
This gooey treat features Special K cereal stirred into a melty and caramel-like marshmallow mixture. This grab-and-go treat is a must-have for
I’m excited to share another family recipe with you today! My husband grew up eating Special K Candy. Towards the beginning of our marriage I thought Special K Candy was something you purchased at the store in the candy aisle. 🤦🏼♀️
I was very wrong. My mother-in-law made her marshmallow cereal treats (this Special K Candy) and I was blown away! This highly addicting homemade treat has a caramel-y flavor that will keep you coming back for more.
Now I want you to make it for your family and friends. Making it is easy, I’ll show you how.
You’ll need a few basic ingredients and a box of cereal.
- Butter – You can use salted or unsalted butter.
- Sugar – Granulated sugar really makes this a sweet treat!
- Brown sugar – You can taste the caramely goodness the light brown sugar brings to this recipe. For a deeper caramel flavor use dark brown sugar.
- Marshmallows – Unlike Rice Krispies Treats, this recipe uses large marshmallows. I haven’t made this recipe using the smaller mallows.
- Kosher salt – A touch of salt adds subtle contrast to the sweetness in the recipe.
- Vanilla extract – Deepens the flavor.
- Special K Cereal – The key ingredient to this recipe! Purchase the original flavor Special K cereal.
How to make Special K Candy
- In a large saucepan over medium to medium-low heat melt the butter, sugar, brown sugar and marshmallows together. Getting everything to melt together takes quite awhile. I clocked about 15 minutes to get those large marshmallows to start breaking down. But the key to making gooey and soft Special K Candy is to NOT turn the heat up too high. Low (heat) and slow. Low and slow. 😁
- Once melted, bring the mixture to a small simmer and simmer for 3 minutes (not a full rolling boil).
- Remove from heat and add the kosher salt and vanilla extract. Stir in the Special K cereal.
It’ll be nice and gooey like this! Isn’t it beautiful 😍 This was a delicious batch!
- Once the cereal is fully coated in the sugary-mallow mixture, spread it out on a cookie sheet to set.
- Dig in! Once you take a bite, you won’t be able to stop snacking on these. Consider yourself warned. 😉
If you love this Special K Candy, you’ll love these recipes
If you make this recipe and love it, I’d be so grateful if you came back and left a rating. Thank you ❤️
Special K Candy
- 1 cup butter - salted or unsalted is fine
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 30 large marshmallows
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 cups Special K Cereal - original flavor
- Melt together the butter, sugar, brown sugar, and marshmallows in a large saucepan over medium to medium low (DO NOT DO TOO HIGH HEAT, otherwise it’ll go hard). See notes.
- Bring to a small simmer, and simmer for 3 minutes (not a full rolling boil)! You will see small bubbles bursting on the surface of the mixture.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and salt. Next, add the 5 cups of Special K cereal into the mixture. Stir to combine, then spread out on a cookie sheet to set.
- Store in an airtight container or plastic bag.