Roasted Grape Tomatoes
Roasted grape tomatoes are a fabulous way to elevate your next meal and it doesn’t take too much effort or time to do. With just 5 ingredients and 15 minutes you can have an entire sheet pan full of ready-to-use roasted tomatoes.
Why This Recipe Works
- Roasting tomatoes enhances their natural sweetness. We really want that natural and pure flavor to shine so we only add salt and pepper and just a touch of garlic for interest.
- This recipe can be a wonderful complement to many different dishes including this Pesto Pasta with Tomatoes recipe or my personal favorite pasta dish- Penne Pomodoro. Both taste wonderful with these red tomatoes added to the dish.
- These oven roasted tomatoes become soft and full of flavors. They have a nice acidic tanginess but hold a good deal of sweetness too. A perfect blend of flavors for many pasta or chicken dishes.
- You only need a baking sheet and garlic mincer to pull this together but even that equipment list can be reduced if you use pre-minced garlic instead of fresh.
- Tomatoes: You can use just about any tomato of preference for this recipe. I personally opt for grape tomatoes but you can use cherry tomatoes, cocktail tomatoes or even Romas.
- Preheat the oven to 450°F.
- On a rimmed baking sheet, add the tomatoes and then drizzle with olive oil.
- Add the salt, pepper, and minced garlic on top, and then toss together to combine.
- Spread the tomatoes out into an even layer on the baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until they look shriveled and are cooked to your desired doneness. The roasting time will vary based on the size of the tomatoes that you used.
- Remove the baking sheet from the oven and enjoy them warm with some crumbled feta or goat cheese and a sprinkling of fresh herbs.
Ways to Use Roasted Tomatoes
Eat them as-is with a spoon or add a sprinkling of fresh herbs and cheese.
Make pasta sauce, like we do with our fresh Penne Pomodoro sauce.
Use these roasted grape tomatoes to make the ultimate grilled cheese sandwich by adding them alongside your favorite cheese and crusty bread.
Add roasted tomatoes to your salad or pasta.
Rather than use raw tomatoes for your BLT, use these flavorful roasted grape tomatoes!
Add them to a savory crepe or crostini.
Add these roasted grape tomatoes to your bruschetta. It’ll really elevate the flavor in the BEST way!
Make a roasted tomato hummus!
Wash and dry the tomatoes before using.
Cut the tomatoes into equal sizes as this will help them roast and have the same doneness level.
These roasted tomatoes can last about 1-2 weeks in the fridge if kept stored in an airtight container.
Freezing: For longer storage, these roasted tomatoes can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months. Simply allow the roasted tomatoes to cool after baking and then place them in a single layer on a wax paper-lined baking sheet and freeze until solid before transferring to an airtight container.
Nope. You don’t have to prep the tomatoes by removing the skin, simply wash them well and slice if needed. You can roast smaller tomatoes whole but larger ones do best if sliced thinner. After roasting all you need to do is scoop up the amount you plan to use and use it as desired.
Yes, these tomatoes are a pretty healthy option because the tomatoes contain great antioxidants and nutrients your body needs.
The roasting process removes moisture and leaves behind the flavor. The more moisture that is removed the more flavor is concentrated in its place. It’s a perfect way to get tomato flavors into recipes without them feeling watered down.
Roasted Grape Tomatoes
- 32 oz tomatoes - can use cherry tomatoes, grape tomatoes (which is what I used), roma tomatoes, or other small tomato variety. Cut tomatoes in half or quarters depending on the size of tomatoes.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 garlic cloves - minced
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Place the tomatoes on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle 2 T olive oil overtop. Add the salt, pepper, and garlic and toss to coat. Spread the tomatoes in an even, single layer along the baking sheet.
- Roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes or until shriveled and cooked to desired doneness. Roast time will vary depending on the size of tomatoes used.
- Remove from oven and enjoy warm with crumbled feat or goat cheese and a sprinkle of fresh herbs. Or use this recipe as the base to make my penne pomodoro recipe!