Rice Cooker Cilantro Lime Rice
Why This Recipe Works
- Flavorful rice dish. When it comes to serving rice as a side dish, you don’t need to compromise on flavor! The cilantro, lime juice and orange juice bring this rice dish to life!
- Easy cilantro rice recipe. Cilantro lime rice in rice cooker is the way to go, friends! It will save you lots of time and you’ll still get a delicious dish! Just plop the rice in the rice cooker with water and let the rice cooker do the heavy lifting for you. Add the remaining ingredients after and you are in business.
- Long Grain White Rice: You can use your rice of preference. If using brown rice, you will most likely need more water to get a softer cooked texture since brown rice is a bit thicker than white rice.
- Kosher Salt: Kosher salt is a coarser texture than table salt, so be sure to know the substitutions if a recipe calls or one or the other. If a recipe calls for Kosher salt, use 1/4 teaspoon less of table salt per teaspoon of salt. If a recipe calls for table salt, use 1/4 teaspoon more of Kosher salt per teaspoon.
- Oil: Use your oil of preference (olive oil, vegetable oil, canola oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, etc.). This will mainly help make the rice easier to mix once cooked.
- Cilantro: Use fresh cilantro that has been nicely chopped to get the best flavor and distribution.
- Lime and Orange Juice: The lime juice and orange juice add a nice flavor complex to the cilantro rice.
- Cook the rice. Add the rice, water and salt to the rice cooker and stir to combine. Cook according to your rice cooker’s instructions.
- Add juices, oil and cilantro. When the rice is one, turn off and unplug the rice cooker. Either to the bowl of the rice cooker or in a new bowl, mix the oil, cilantro, lime juice and orange juice into the rice mixture until combined. Serve warm!
Adding the cilantro, oil, lime juice and orange juice after the rice is cooked will make sure the rice cooks fully and well in the rice cooker. It will also make sure the cilantro isn’t over cooked.
The orange juice may seem a bit odd in this recipe, but it’s just a splash and it helps add a difference in flavor.
For added flavor and color in the rice cooker cilantro lime rice, add some lime zest and orange zest.
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
While you can make this cilantro rice in rice cooker ahead of time, it is best enjoyed fresh.
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
To freeze, let the rice come to room temperature and then store in an airtight container or Ziplock bag and freeze. The rice should keep in the freezer for 1-2 months. Remove and let thaw in the fridge overnight. There may be added moisture due to freezing.
Yes you can. You may need to add more water to the rice cooker. Follow your manufacturer instructions for how much water to use when cooking brown rice in the rice cooker.
No you do not. You are welcome to use fresh lime juice, but store bought is just fine.
Yes you can. Just follow the directions for cooking rice according to your instant pot instructions/manual. Then follow the recipe from there.
More Rice Recipes
Rice Cooker Cilantro Lime Rice
- 2 cup water
- 1 cup long grain white rice
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil - or canola oil
- 1 tablespoon cilantro - chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon orange juice
- In a medium saucepan, bring water to a boil. Once boiling add the rice and salt. Stir to combine.
- Return to a boil. Once it is a rolling boil reduce to a simmer and simmer rice for 15 minutes.
- Remove from heat, keep covered for 2 minutes. Fluff with a fork.
- Stir in the oil, cilantro, lime juice, and orange juice. Serve!