Curry Chicken and Rice
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This ONE skillet Curry Chicken and Rice is an easy meal full of delicious curry flavor! This skillet dinner is loaded with vegetables, coconut milk, and curry seasoning. It’s a hearty meal that will feed a large family.
I love a delicious, hearty, and flavorful meal! If I had to bet money, I’m sure you’re the same. Nobody likes bland food!
Back to this chicken curry recipe… it’s a keeper, as is my Massaman Curry. Both are so easy to make!
How to make Curry Chicken and Rice
First, place a 12 inch skillet over medium heat. We want the skillet to get nice and hot. We’re essentially searing the chicken.
Next, add the flour and spices to a pie tin or shallow dish.
Pat the chicken breasts with a paper towel then dredge the chicken in the flour mixture.
Place the chicken in the skillet and cook each side for 4 minutes. Remove the chicken breasts to a plate.
Add the onion and carrots to the skillet. Cook them until barely tender about 5 minutes.
Add the rice, garlic, and curry powder to the onion and carrot mixture. Then add the chicken broth.
Bring this to a simmer and then add the chicken back into the skillet. Cover and cook for 8-10 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160°F.
Transfer the chicken to a clean plate and tent the plate with foil. Let the chicken sit for about 10 minutes.
While the chicken is sitting add the coconut milk to the rice. I LOVE coconut milk! Just use the full fat coconut milk in a can. Once again, cover the skillet and cook for another 10 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
Now, add the peas and cilantro to the rice, and stir until everything is combined.
Serve immediately with the chicken.
A fairly simple dinner and it’s made in ONE skillet! No need to dirty 4-5 bowls. This chicken curry recipe will feed a lot of people AND your family or guests will love it!
More *AMAZING* dinner recipes:
- Skillet Lasagna
- Indian Butter Chicken
- Chickpea Curry
- Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- Lemon Honey Glazed Salmon
Craving more? SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there!
Curry Chicken and Rice
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cardamom
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil divided
- 2 carrots cut into 1/4 inch coins
- 1 yellow onion finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/2 cups long grain white rice
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro finely minced
- Pound the chicken breasts until they are even thickness. (If your chicken breasts are quite large, pound them to an even thickness and then cut them in half so that each piece equals about 7-8 oz each). Pat the chicken dry with paper towels. Sprinkle the salt and pepper over the chicken breasts.
- In a shallow dish (I use a pie tin) add the flour, cayenne pepper and cardamom. Mix to incorporate the ingredients. Dredge the chicken breasts in the flour. Place the flour coated chicken breasts on a plate while you prepare the skillet.
- Heat a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once the skillet is hot, add 2 tablespoons of the vegetable oil and heat until just smoking. Place the chicken in the skillet, and brown each chicken breast for about 4 minutes on each side. Once done, transfer the chicken breasts to a plate to rest.
- Add 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil to the empty skillet (still over medium heat). Add the carrots and onions to the skillet. Cook until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in the garlic, rice, and curry powder. Mix to combine. Add the chicken broth. Bring the mixture to a gentle simmer. Add the chicken into the skillet. Cover. And cook for 8-10 minutes or until the chicken reaches an internal temperature of 160°F.
- When chicken reaches 160°F, remove the chicken from the skillet and place it on a plate. Tent the plate with aluminum foil, and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk to the rice. Stir to combine. Cover the skillet and cook for 10-12 minutes or until the rice has absorbed all of the liquid.
- Add the peas to the rice, stir to combine.
- Remove from heat and gently stir the cilantro into the rice. Serve immediately with the chicken.