Crunchy Cabbage Salad
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
Crunchy Cabbage Salad is made with fresh produce such as shredded cabbage, celery, and green onions. To add additional flavors and textures we top the salad with sliced almonds, sunflower seeds, crisp ramen noodles, and a homemade dressing. You can turn this vegetarian salad into a hearty meal by serving it alongside focaccia or naan bread, roasted broccoli, and/or acini di pepe pasta salad.
This cabbage salad kicks off our “salad week” for 2020. 🎉 For the remainder of the week I will be sharing 6 additional salad recipes for you and your loved ones to enjoy.
I’m really excited about this recipe because it’s one my aunt would make all the time. (Think baby showers, wedding showers, missionaries coming home… this was usually served at those parties). I’m pretty sure this was her signature dish. Here are the ingredients you’ll need:
For the Cabbage Salad
- Cabbage – make sure it’s shredded or cut into thin strips. Tip: by cutting the cabbage into smaller pieces it makes it easier to eat. 😀
- Green onions
- Almonds – sliced or slivered almonds.
- Sunflower seeds – removed from the hard outer shell. (That was a given right? If not, I spelled it out just to be sure!)
- Ramen Noodle packet – you will use the uncooked noodles and the flavor packet.
Cabbage Salad Dressing
- Oil – if you have peanut oil, use that. If not you can use vegetable oil.
- Rice vinegar
- Apple cider vinegar
- Granulated sugar
- Ramen noodle flavor packet
- Toasted sesame oil – if you don’t have toasted oil that’s fine, you can use regular sesame oil.
How to make Cabbage Salad
- Make the dressing. Whisk the ingredients together to make the dressing. You can make it ahead of time and then cover it and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use. Before pouring it over the salad make sure you give it a final whisk to ensure the ingredients are fully combined and haven’t separated.
- Add all salad ingredients to a large bowl. Toss the salad.
- Drizzle the dressing overtop. Toss to combine.
- Serve immediately or store in the fridge for several hours before serving. Note: this salad is best served the same day it’s made.
FAQ and Tips for Success
- Use a large bowl as this salad makes a lot!
- You can make the dressing ahead of time or the night before. Store the dressing covered in the refrigerator for 3 days or so. Before pouring it over the cabbage salad, give it a final whisk to make sure the ingredients are evenly combined.
- Can I add shredded chicken to salad? YES! This is a great way to make it hearty and more of a full blown meal.
- Best served the same day it’s made. You can store leftovers in the fridge for 1 day but just know the salad loses some of its crunchiness.
More Salad Recipes
Did you make this recipe? Please come back to leave a rating and review! Thank you so much. xoxo
Crunchy Cabbage Salad
- 1 small head of cabbage shredded (cut into thin strips)
- 4 green onions sliced
- 2 celery stalks thinly sliced
- 3 cups sliced almonds
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds removed from the shell
- 1 pkg chicken flavored ramen noodles dry and broken
- 1/2 cup peanut oil or vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 1/2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 flavor packet from the ramen noodles
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- Make the dressing: Whisk the peanut oil, vinegars, sugar, ramen noodle flavor packet, and sesame oil in a small bowl or liquid measuring cup.
- Toss the cabbage, onions, celery, almonds, sunflower seeds, and ramen noodles in a large bowl.
- Drizzle the dressing overtop, toss again. Serve cold.