This Everything Sauce is the secret to adding a burst of flavor to every dish — made with avocado, olive oil, pistachios, parsley, cilantro and lime juice, this green sauce is the perfect snack dip, veggie dip, sandwich spread, Green Falafel topping, or sauce to serve with any meat.
We call this our 5 minute magic green sauce because it is magically delicious on everything! We love it on my Avocado Chicken Wraps, Healthy Chicken Wraps, as a dipping sauce for Greek Yogurt Naan Bread, as a pasta sauce, serve alongside some grilled chicken breast, and more! It may just be the only sauce you ever use from now on!
Why This Recipe Works
- Best green sauce. Once the green sauce was made, I sat next to the food processor with a spoon, eating it! It will be your new favorite everything sauce. And the best part is all you have to do is plop all the ingredients in the food processor and pulse! Easy peasy.
- Versatile sauce. Serve this magic green sauce for breakfast, lunch or dinner! Use it as a spread, dip, sauce, or dressing for any type of food — my go-to everything sauce!
- Healthy ingredients. Apart from being a flavor powerhouse (and completely vegan), this Magic Green Sauce is also incredibly healthy! Avocado provides heart-healthy monounsaturated fats and essential nutrients, while the fresh herbs contribute essential vitamins and antioxidants and pistachios brings a dose of protein and healthy fats to the mix.
- Avocado: You’ll need 1 large avocado, pitted and skin removed. This gives the sauce that creamy avocado texture.
- Fresh Parsley: Don’t take the leaves off the stems — we’ll use the leaves and stems.
- Fresh Cilantro: Use the leaves and stems like with the parsley.
- Jalapeño: I remove the seeds and ribs, however, keep them in for a extra spicy sauce.
- Lime Juice: This gives it the best tangy lime flavor which is important to balance out the flavors and to keep the avocado in the green magic sauce from browning. I added 1 tablespoon, however feel free to add extra lime! Use lemon juice if you don’t have lime juice.
- Olive Oil: if you want to use this for a salad dressing, add more olive oil and a bit more water to thin out the sauce.
- Kosher Salt: if you don’t have kosher salt, use 1/2 the amount in table salt. And if your pistachios are salted, then I would omit the salt and once the magic green sauce is all blended you can add salt to taste.
- Roasted Pistachios: I used unsalted pistachios in this magic green sauce recipe. If you use salted, you can omit the salt in this magical green sauce recipe. Personally, I think it’s better to test and season as you go. If you find it needs more salt, you can add it in. But once it’s in, you can’t take it out!
- Combine sauce ingredients and blend. Add the avocado, 1/2 cup parsley, 1/2 cup cilantro, jalapeño, garlic cloves, 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup olive oil, 1 tsp kosher salt, and 2/3 cup roasted pistachios to a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Serve! Serve this magic green sauce with chicken, pasta, zucchini noodles, as a chip dip, as a spread on sandwiches or wraps, with falafel and more. Enjoy!
Now, you always have the option of making this on the chunkier side, with a bit more texture. To do this, add all of the ingredients MINUS the pistachios. Pulse until smooth, and then add the pistachios to the food processor and pulse until you reach your desired consistency.
If using salted pistachios, omit the salt, and then season with salt to taste. The pistachios I used were unsalted.
If you want to use it as a salad dressing you can thin it out with additional water or olive oil.
No food processor? Use a blender or immersion blender.
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator. This sauce will last for about 7-10 days if stored properly.
To freeze, store in a freezer safe jar or container and freeze for up to 3 months. You could also freeze it in an ice cube tray until frozen, then transfer the cubes into a freezer-safe bag and freeze that. This way you can thaw the amount of sauce you need by pulling out a few ice cubes.
Yes you can! You can use pecans, almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, etc.
I would use sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds!
Yes, just add a bit more oil or water to make the sauce runnier.
More Delicious Sauces
- 1 large avocado - pitted and skin removed
- 1/2 cup parsley - leaves and stems, packed
- 1/2 cup cilantro - leaves and stems, packed
- 1 jalapeno - seeds and ribs removed (keep if you want spicy)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2/3 cup roasted pistachios - See notes
- Add all of the ingredients to a food processor bowl. Pulse until smooth.
- Use this sauce on chicken, pasta, zucchini noodles, chip dip (it’s a bit guacamole-esk), with falafel, or whatever you’d like.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 7-10 days.