Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Crostini
These Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Crostini are sophisticated enough for holiday parties yet easy enough for barbecues or casual get togethers.
Perfectly caramelized onions crown a bed of thyme infused goat cheese on small pieces of toasted baguette. Ummm, YUM!!
My most recent obsession is goat cheese. I love it! It’s a tad salty and has just a slight tang to it. It’s somewhat of a crumbly cheese and yet it’s creamy.
The thyme infused goat cheese is heavenly sandwiched between the toasted baguette slices and the caramelized onions. The warmth permeates the goat cheese causing it to soften up just slightly. It’s so delicious!
And better yet, this is a perfect appetizer or finger food to serve for guests. And while you’re at it, you should add these turkey meatballs with cranberry chutney and my famous cucumber sandwiches to your party menu.
What is Crostini? Crostini is small pieces of toasted bread served with a topping as an appetizer.
They are perfectly portioned small pieces of toast.
Crostini is very versatile. There are countless topping options and spreads you can slather atop each slice of bread.
Today, we’re topping ours with caramelized onions and goat cheese.
This is the perfect appetizer for holiday parties!
Caramelized Onions and Goat Cheese Crostini
If you’re new to caramelizing onions I suggest you read my caramelized onion dip post. I go into extensive detail about how one goes about successfully caramelizing onions.
Pro tip: Slice the onions 1/8″ inch thick. Any thinner than this and they’ll be mushy and not hold their structure.
Once you’ve sliced the onions, heat a cast iron skillet over medium-low heat. Add olive oil and the onions to the pan. Stir occasionally.
Don’t turn the heat up too high. Caramelizing onions is a slow process, one that requires patience.
Once the onions have been cooking for about 25 minutes preheat the oven.
Next, slice the baguette into 1/4″ – 1/2″ inch slices. I tend to slice mine a tad thicker, so around 1/2″ inch.
Line the sliced baguettes on a baking sheet and toast them in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
While the baguette slices are toasting prep the thyme goat cheese.
Goat Cheese Crostini
There are only 3 ingredients in the goat cheese spread:
- Goat cheese
- Cream Cheese
- Fresh thyme
Place the cream cheese in a small bowl and mix it (you can use a fork or a hand mixer) until it’s smooth. Once it’s a creamy consistency add the thyme and goat cheese and mix again.
Spread a generous amount of the goat cheese on each slice of toasted bread, top it with caramelized onions and serve!
Garnishes are a fun way to add a burst of flavor, color, and texture. Optional garnishes would be dried cranberries or pomegranate arils.
There you have it! An easy crostini recipe that serves as the perfect appetizer for holiday parties or gatherings!
Craving more? SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there!
Caramelized Onion and Goat Cheese Crostini
- 2 large yellow onions
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 oz goat cheese
- 2 oz cream cheese - softened
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme - chopped
- dried cranberries - for garnish
- 1 baguette - sliced into 1/2" thick slices
- Slice the onions in half and then slice to 1/8" thickness. I use a mandolin... it makes it MUCH faster! You will have anywhere from 5-6 cups worth of sliced onions.
- In a 12 inch cast iron skillet over medium-low heat add the olive oil and onions. Stir occasionally. Caramelizing the onions will take about 35-45 minutes.* The onions are done when they are a rich brown and soft, but not mushy.
- Remove from heat. Set aside.
- When onions are about halfway done, preheat oven to 325°F.
- Place baguette slices on a baking sheet. Toast in a 325°F oven for 5-7 minutes or until slightly crispy.
- Spread 1/2-1 tablespoon of the goat cheese mixture on top of each slice of baguette. Then top with 1-2 tablespoons of caramelized onion. Garnish with fresh thyme and dried cranberries. **
Goat Cheese Mixture
- Place the cream cheese in a medium bowl. Mix with a fork until smooth and creamy (could also use a hand mixer). Add the goat cheese and chopped thyme. Mix until combined.