Sheet Pan Italian Sausage and Veggies
Sheet Pan Italian Sausage and Veggies is the perfect dinner meal for those crazy weeknights! The flavorful Italian sausage paired with the oven roasted zucchini and peppers bring a delicious Italian combination. With added potatoes and broccoli, this is a veggie-packed and flavorful meal everyone will enjoy!
Sheet pan dinners are on repeat at our house! They are easy to make, don’t take many kitchen utensils and you can just plop the sheet pan in the oven and let dinner bake while you get other things done! Some of my favorite sheet pan dinners are sheet pan chicken fajitas (or sheet pan shrimp fajitas if you are a seafood lover!), and sheet pan chili lime salmon.
Why This Recipe Works
- Delicious and healthy! This sausage veggie bake is a delicious dinner recipe thanks to the yummy vegetables and the combination of spices. The Italian seasoning + the parsley and oregano on top of that really create a bright flavor palette. Then, not only is this meal delicious, but it is packed with tons of healthy vegetables!
- A veggie bake with added protein. I’ve turned a veggie bake side dish into a main dish by adding some Italian sausage for a protein and flavor boost. Plus, I’m a huge fan of Italian sausage! It really makes this sheet pan dish that much better.
- Italian Sausage: If you want to add some heat to this dish, then you can choose a medium or hot Italian sausage. Using the Italian sausage adds a lot more flavor than if using just ground beef or chicken.
- Vegetables: The beauty of this sausage and vegetable bake is you can adapt it to include any vegetables you like! I’ve chosen broccoli, potatoes, zucchini and bell peppers. It would recommend a variety of vegetables. Having potatoes as a starch helps create texture and flavor variations in the dish.
- Italian Seasoning: Using Italian seasoning plus the oregano and parsley gives this dish a lot of flavor! Adding the additional parsley is a nice touch.
- Chop the vegetables. Any kind will do, be creative! I chose to use broccoli, carrots, red potatoes, red and green bell peppers, and zucchini.
- Mix the spices together in a small bowl.
- Toss the vegetables in some olive oil. Sprinkle the seasonings overtop the veggies and toss to coat again. You can add the meat before you sprinkle the seasonings on, however, I opted to add the meat afterwards. The Italian sausage has a lot of flavor as is, so I wasn’t worried about it being doused in the dry seasoning mix.
- Bake. Place the meat on a baking sheet and then transfer it to the oven to bake. Stir up the vegetables and meat halfway through the baking process. When the sheet pan Italian sausage and veggies are ready to serve, you can eat it plain or atop rice or quinoa.
Variations: Additional vegetables you could add to this sheet pan sausage and veggies dish are cauliflower, summer squash, sweet potatoes, or onions.
Switch up the seasonings to basil and rosemary.
None of the ingredients have to be cooked prior to baking. That’s why it’s just a one pan Italian sausage and veggies recipe!
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
Store the sausage and veggie bake covered in the fridge for 3-4 days. Or you can freeze it in an airtight container or Ziplock bag for up to 3 months. If freezing, remove from the freezer and bake from frozen until warmed. Remember than frozen vegetables may have a different texture than fresh.
To reheat any leftovers, bake in the oven at 400 degrees for 8-10 minutes or until warmed and roasted again.
Yes you can! Parchment paper is just fine to have in your sheet pan for a sheet pan dinner recipe. You can also use tin foil or not foil or parchment paper. Just be sure to spray the pan or be sure the dish has been tossed in oil so the ingredients don’t stick.
The main difference is the seasoning added to the sausage. Italian sausage has had Italian seasoning added to it for more flavor. One of the main ingredients added to Italian sausage is fennel.
I would recommend using the Italian sausage links since this recipe has slices of Italian sausage. The Jimmy Dean Italian sausage is better for recipes that called for ground sausage. You can’t really slice the big roll of sausage. However, if you only had the Jimmy Dean or a different brand of the big tube of ground Italian sausage, I would recommend cooking it in a pan on the stove and then adding it to the sausage vegetable bake when the veggies are done.
More Healthy Dinners
- Sheet Pan Smoked Sausage and Peppers
- Reverse Stuffed Peppers and Brown Rice Bowl
- Italian Grilled Chicken
- Chickpea and Spinach Curry
Sheet Pan Italian Sausage and Veggies
- 16 oz Italian sausage - cut into thick coins
- 2 cups red potatoes - diced
- 1 red bell pepper - chopped
- 1 green bell pepper - chopped
- 3 cups broccoli, roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini - cut into thick coins
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Chop the veggies and place on a parchment or foil lined baking sheet. (This isn’t necessary, but it makes for easy clean up). Drizzle the olive oil over everything and toss to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine the Italian seasoning, parsley, oregano, salt, and pepper. Stir to combine. Sprinkle the seasoning mixture over the veggies. Toss to coat.
- Evenly disperse the meat throughout the pan.
- Place the pan in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. Gently remove the pan from the oven. Turn the veggies and meat so stir things up. Place back in the oven and bake for 10-15 more minutes, or until the veggies are tender and the meat is cooked through.
- Serve by itself or over rice or quinoa.
This recipe was originally published on May 15, 2018. It was republished on Dec. 18, 2021, to include additional information and photos.