These Twix Cookies are inspired by Twix candy bars — made with buttery shortbread base topped with a smooth or caramel sauce and a rich chocolate topping. Finish each cookie off with a small piece of a Twix candy bar and you have your new favorite cookie to serve for any gathering or event!
Chocolate and caramel is such a delicious flavor combination! Add Grandma’s Shortbread Cookies and we have a definite winner. If Twix is a favorite candy bar of yours, then you’ll also love my Twix Cake!
Why This Recipe Works
- Best Twix cookies! You are going to LOVE these cookies — and every time you make them, people will ask for the recipe. These chocolate caramel cookies look and taste so much like a Twix candy bar, that you are essentially making homemade Twix bars!
- Buttery shortbread cookie base. The base of these cookies is my Shortbread Cookies recipe and it is amazing! Passed down for generations, it’s the best shortbread cookie recipe out there! You’ll see some Twix cookie recipes online that are made with sugar cookies — those are too sweet and not like a true Twix bar!
- Topped with perfect balance of smooth caramel and chocolate. Using caramel candies with heavy cream and chocolate chips and shortening, we get the best texture in the caramel sauce and the chocolate topping.
- Grandma’s Shortbread Cookies: You’ll just need a half batch of this cookie recipe. If you use the full batch of Grandma’s shortbread cookies, then you’ll need to double the ingredients for the caramel sauce and chocolate topping for the Twix cookie recipe. Use high quality butter for the cookies!
- Caramels: I just used the soft caramels and unwrap them. Great activity for any kiddos! You’ll add some heavy cream to the caramels to help them melt into a delicious caramel sauce (that will still set when cooled!)
- Milk Chocolate Chips: Milk chocolate is the kind of chocolate used in Twix candy bars, so that’s what we’ll use! If you prefer dark chocolate, feel free to adapt.Adding 1 tsp shortening or coconut oil to the chocolate chips will help them melt better and form a smoother texture. It will also help create the perfect texture when the chocolate sets.
- Twix Candy Bars: This is optional, but I added small pieces of Twix bars to the tops of my Twix cookies to make them look the part even more!
- Make the shortbread cookie dough. To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, beat 1 cube (1/2 cup) of butter and 1/4 cup sugar on medium speed for 2-3 minutes. Add the other cube of butter and the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and beat again for 2-3 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Combine 2 cups flour and 2 1/2 tablespoons of cornstarch to a medium bowl and whisk to combine. Then slowly add the flour mixture to the butter mixture and mix on low until combined.
- Bake the shortbread cookies. Preheat the oven to 375ºF. Using a rolling pin, roll dough until it is 1/2 inch thick. Use a 2.5-inch or 3-inch round cookie cutter to cut out the cookies until all the dough is used. Place the cookies on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving 2 inches between each cookie. Bake for 14 minutes. The edges will look just lightly golden brown.
- Make the Twix caramel sauce. Place 10 oz unwrapped caramel candy squares in a microwave-safe bowl and add 1 tablespoon heavy cream. Microwave for 30-second intervals, stirring after each until fully melted and smooth.
- Top each shortbread cookie with caramel. Spoon caramel on top of each cookie and gently spread the caramel around the top of the cookies with the back of a spoon. Let the caramel set for 20-30 minutes.
- Make the chocolate sauce. Add 1 1/2 cups milk chocolate chips and 1 tsp shortening (or coconut oil) to a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave in 30-second increments, stirring after each, until fully melted and smooth.
- Add chocolate sauce on top of the caramel-topped cookies. Spoon about a tablespoon of melted chocolate on top of the caramel layer and spread it around until it almost reaches the edge of the caramel. Add a small piece of a Twix candy bar on top of the chocolate layer bar of each cookie. Let the cookies set for 20-30 minutes. Enjoy!
If you use unsalted butter in the Grandma’s shortbread cookies recipe, just add ½ tsp salt to the Twix cookies recipe.
It’s very important to use high quality butter in the shortbread cookies! It will make the cookies so much better.
Leave a little bit of the shortbread cookie visible along the edges, as well as a little bit of caramel visible. This way you can see the layers more. If you have caramel covering the cookies and then chocolate covering the caramel, you won’t get that layered look.
You want to wait until the caramel is set before adding the chocolate topping or else they’ll just swirl together and you won’t get that Twix look.
Then if you are adding Twix candy bar pieces to the tops of the cookies, you’ll want to place them in the chocolate topping before it sets — that way the Twix sets into the chocolate.
If you don’t want to worry about unwrapping caramel candies, you can use Kraft unwrapped caramel bits.
Let the chocolate topping on the Twix cookies set to make eating them less messy!
You can make these delicious homemade Twix cookies in place of eating a Twix bar! They are much fresher and test so much better than even the candy bar.
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
You can make the shortbread cookies ahead of time and store them in a cookie tin for multiple days before using them to make these Twix cookies! My father-in-law says that the cookies will even last for 1-2 weeks in those tins and just keep getting yummier.
Store the Twix cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week.
To freeze Twix cookies, flash freeze, then store in a freezer-safe bag. Freeze for up to 2 months. Remove and let thaw.
The cookie inside of a Twix bar is a shortbread cookie.
The shortbread cookies can last up to 2 weeks if stored in a cookie tin or airtight container.
No. Caramel sauce or homemade caramel sauce is made to be more liquid-like (meaning it won’t set up). The point of using caramel candies is that we can control the thickness of the caramel so it won’t run off the cookies.
More Delicious Cookie Recipes
- Milk Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Brownie Mix Cookies
- Funfetti Cookies
- Sugar Cookie Bars
- Chewy Monster Cookies
Shortbread Cookie Base
- 1 cup salted butter - softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 10 oz caramels - unwrapped
- 1 tablespoon heavy cream - or evaporated milk
- 1 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Twix candy bars - for topping, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, or bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat 1 cube (or ½ cup) of butter and ¼ cup of sugar on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until white.
- Add the second cube (1/2 cup) of butter and the remaining ¼ cup of sugar and beat on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until white. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour and cornstarch. Slowly add the flour mixture to the butter and sugar mixture, mix on low until combined.
- Pat or roll out the dough into ½ inch thickness. Use a 2.5 inch or 3 inch round cookie cutter and cut out cookies until you’ve used up all of the dough. Place the cookies on the baking sheet, leaving 2 inches between each. Bake for 14 minutes or until the edges are just lightly brown.
- Place the caramel and heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave at 30 second increments until the caramel is fully melted. Stir until smooth.
- Place a spoonful of caramel on top of each cookie then use the back of the spoon to smooth the caramel to the edges of the cookie. Let sit for 20-30 minutes or until the caramel is set.
- Place the milk chocolate chips and shortening in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second intervals until melted. Stir until chocolate is smooth. Spoon some melted chocolate over the caramel layer and spread until it almost reaches the edges of the cookie. (optional… top with a small piece of Twix candy bar). Let set for 20-30 minutes or until the chocolate has set. Enjoy!