Best Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This is the Best Chocolate Cupcake Recipe! These chocolate cupcakes are moist, tender, and topped with the creamiest chocolate buttercream frosting; throw some sprinkles overtop and you have the perfect cupcakes for a special occasion or birthday!
I love chocolate. And I’m assuming/hoping you do too!
If you’re a chocolate lover and a cake lover, you’ll go crazy for these moist chocolate cupcakes.
Pile on a hefty serving of my delicious chocolate buttercream frosting recipe and you’re in business.
If you need a cupcake recipe for a birthday party, then use this one, kids and adults will go crazy for it.
And good news is this: these chocolate cupcakes take less than 30 minutes to make… from start to finish! Technically they take 25 minutes is all.
How to make Chocolate Cupcakes
In a medium bowl whisk the dry ingredients together: flour, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
In the bowl of a stand mixer add the eggs, sugars, oil, and vanilla extract. Mix on medium speed until everything is thoroughly combined.
With the mixer on low, alternate adding the dry ingredients with the buttermilk staring and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Dry ingredients, buttermilk, dry, buttermilk, dry.
Don’t over mix the cupcake batter!
Fill the cupcake liners half full.
Not 2/3 full, not 3/4 full. Half full.
If you overfill the liners the cupcakes will have spill over, stick to the pan, and create problems. I know this, because I experienced it. I learned my lesson, so don’t make the same mistake I did.
Bake the chocolate cupcakes for 18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcakes comes out clean.
Let them cool completely before frosting them with chocolate buttercream frosting.
Storing Chocolate Cupcakes
You can store unfrosted chocolate cupcakes at room temperature in an airtight container for 1-2 days. Once the cupcakes have been frosted store them in an airtight container in the fridge.
Refrigerated cupcakes will last for up to 1 week, but keep in mind that these cupcakes taste best when consumed within a few days of making them.
If you love these chocolate cupcakes try these:
And don’t forget to subscribe to Salt & Baker; the internet is vast and we don’t want you to forget about us! Plus you’ll receive my famous monthly newsletter!
Best Chocolate Cupcake Recipe
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- In a large bowl whisk the cocoa powder, flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment add the eggs, granulated sugar, brown sugar, oil, and vanilla. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute or until thoroughly combined.
- With the mixer on low, alternate adding the dry ingredients with the buttermilk starting and ending with the dry ingredients. (Dry, buttermilk, dry, buttermilk, dry). Don't overmix.
- Line a regular sized muffin tin with cupcake liners. Fill the liners half full. If you fill them over halfway, they will spill over! Don't do it. Only fill half full.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool in pan for 5 minutes, then remove to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Frost with chocolate buttercream frosting.