Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
I have quite the obsession with appetizer and snack recipes. My newest craving is this Buffalo Chicken Dip recipe. Boy is it GOOD!
This dip is loaded with shredded chicken, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, and cream cheese. It’s topped with melty cheese and blue cheese. You can’t not have buffalo sauce without the blue cheese. It’s sort of a package deal.
If you like buffalo sauce recipes make sure you try my crispy buffalo chicken bites (with a homemade bleu cheese sauce).
Why you’ll love this buffalo chicken dip
You can take this to any event and it will be welcomed with open
arms mouths. This dip is very versatile because I think so many people are fond of the buffalo inspired dishes. You can take this dip to a game day party, pot luck or serve it at a summer barbecue. Surprisingly, this buffalo dip works year round.
It’s easy to make and doesn’t use speciality ingredients. If you aren’t comfortable cooking in the kitchen, this recipe is for you. There’s 10 minutes of prep and that’s it. Super simple.
You can make this dip a day in advance; I discuss this in the “tips and tricks” section above the recipe card.
You need 6 ingredients to make this buffalo chip dip. All of which are quite common, minus the blue cheese. I like blue cheese, so we have it at our house, but it might not be something you store in your fridge.
- Chicken – the chicken needs to be cooked and shredded. I cook chicken breasts in a skillet on the stove. Once the internal temperature reaches 160°F I transfer the chicken breasts to the bowl of a stand mixer (fitted with the paddle attachment) and mix the chicken on medium speed for 20 seconds. This technique shreds chicken beautifully.
- Cream cheese – softened. Use an 8 oz cream cheese block. To speed up the softening process you can place the cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and heat it on half power for 20-30 seconds. The cream cheese will be softened and ready to go in less than 1 minute!
- Buffalo sauce – choose a brand you like.
- Ranch dressing – again, use a brand you enjoy. I love ranch dressing, so occasionally I’ll scoop some of the warm dip on a plate and drizzle additional ranch overtop.
- Cheese – I use Colby Jack cheese, but sharp cheddar would be delicious too.
- Blue cheese – for topping off the dish. Note: if you don’t like blue cheese you can omit it.
How to make Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Mix the ingredients in a large bowl. This includes the chicken, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch, and half of the shredded cheese.
- Spoon the mixture into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheeses overtop.
- Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melty and bubbly around the edges.
- Serve with chips, celery sticks, bread, etc.
Tips and Tricks
You can prepare the dip in advance. To do so make the recipe up until you need to bake the dip, but rather than bake it, cover the dip with plastic wrap and tuck it in the fridge. When ready to bake, remove from the fridge (take off the plastic wrap) and bake. Note: you may need to bake the dip a few minutes longer.
You can serve buffalo chicken dip with tortilla chips (my preferred method), celery sticks, or slices of bread (French bread or baquette would be amazing).
This dip should be served warm. If you’re having a game day party, pot luck, or gathering of some kind, try and time it so that you can pull the dip out of the oven and start eating it within 10 minutes.
To reheat the dip, place it in the oven at 350°F until edges are bubbly and warm. Or for an even easier method, microwave the buffalo chicken dip until warm.
More dip recipes you’ll love
Let’s stay in touch. After all, the internet is a large place and I don’t want you to forget about me. Sign up to get new recipes sent via email. Thanks!
Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 8 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 1 3/4 cups Colby jack cheese divided (can subsitute sharp cheddar cheese)
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl mix the chicken, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, and 1 cup of cheese.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased (with cooking spray) 9"x9" inch pan, or 9"inch pie plate.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and the bleu cheese crumbles overtop. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately with tortilla chips, celery sticks, bread… etc.