Buffalo Chicken Dip Recipe
My appetizer and snack recipes obsession continues with this Buffalo Chicken Dip with blue cheese. Boy is it GOOD! This dip is packed with shredded chicken, spicy buffalo sauce, creamy ranch dressing, and cream cheese. It’s topped with melty cheese and blue cheese crumbles for a delicious, flavor-packed dip recipe.
If you like recipes with buffalo sauce, make sure you try my crispy buffalo chicken bites (with a homemade blue cheese sauce).
Why This Recipe Works
- 30-minute dip recipe. With just 10 minutes of preparation time and 15-20 minutes of bake time, this buffalo chicken dip recipe comes together quickly and easily!
- Only 6 ingredients required. The nice thing about this buffalo blue cheese dip recipe is you only need 6 ingredients!
- Year-round favorite. You can take this to any event and it will be welcomed with open
armsmouths. This chicken and cream cheese dip with buffalo sauce is great for a game day party, pot luck or at a summer barbecue. This buffalo dip works year round!
- Chicken: Cooked and shredded. I cook chicken breasts in a skillet on the stove. Once the internal temperature reaches 160°F, I transfer the chicken breasts to the bowl of a stand mixer (fitted with the paddle attachment) and mix the chicken on medium speed for 20 seconds. This technique shreds chicken beautifully. Or use rotisserie chicken to cut time.
- Cream Cheese: Use an 8 oz cream cheese block. To speed up the softening process, you can place the cream cheese in a microwave safe bowl and heat it on half power for 20-30 seconds. The cream cheese will be softened and ready to go in less than 1 minute!
- Buffalo Sauce: Choose a brand you like. I like the Franks RedHot buffalo sauce. Note: Buffalo sauce is made with a cayenne pepper hot sauce, so it is spicy.
- Ranch Dressing: The rand adds an additional layer of flavor and creaminess. I love ranch dressing, so occasionally I’ll scoop some of the warm buffalo dip on a plate and drizzle additional ranch dressing overtop.
- Cheese: I use Colby Jack cheese, but sharp cheddar would be delicious too.
- Blue Cheese: For topping off the dish. Note: if you don’t like blue cheese, you can omit it.
- Combine all ingredients minus the blue cheese.Mix together until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheeses overtop.
- Bake at 350°F for 15-20 minutes or until cheese is melty and bubbly around the edges.
- Serve with chips, celery sticks, bread, etc.
You can serve buffalo chicken dip with tortilla chips (my preferred method), celery sticks, or slices of bread (French bread, baguette, or sour dough are great options).
This buffalo chicken dip with blue cheese crumbles should be served warm. If you’re having a game day party, pot luck, or gathering of some kind, try and time it so that you can pull the dip out of the oven and start eating it within 10 minutes.
To reheat the dip, place it in the oven at 350°F until edges are bubbly and warm. Or for an even easier method, microwave the buffalo chicken dip until warm.
To make the buffalo dip in a crockpot, simply place the dip ingredients in the slow cooker, mix to combine, then flatten into an even layer. Top with the blue cheese and remaining cheese. Then cover and place on low heat for 3-4 hours, or until heated throughout.
If you aren’t a fan of blue cheese, you can omit it or substitute it out for goat cheese or feta cheese. The flavor won’t be like the blue cheese, so keep that in mind. But you will get that salty, crumbly element that is similar to blue cheese.
Add freshly sliced green onions on top of the dip prior to serving for an added texture and flavor.
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
You can prepare the dip in advance. To do so, make the recipe up until you need to bake the dip, but rather than bake it, cover the dip with plastic wrap and store it in the fridge. When ready to bake, remove from the fridge (take off the plastic wrap) and bake. Note: you may need to bake the dip a few minutes longer since it’s chilled in the fridge.
I don’t recommend freezing this buffalo chicken dip because it has ranch dressing in it. Ranch dressing is made with buttermilk, which, if frozen, will separate and get clumpy.
I love eating buffalo chicken dip with tortilla chips, but you can also use celery sticks, carrot sticks, bell peppers, crackers, French bread, baguette slices, or sour dough bread.
Buffalo sauce is spicy because it is made with hot sauce. This buffalo chicken dip with cream cheese is still spicy, but the cream cheese and ranch dressing makes it so this spice level is like you are just having straight hot sauce.
This particular buffalo chicken dip made with ranch dressing shouldn’t be frozen because the ranch dressing contains buttermilk. When buttermilk is frozen, it gets clumpy and separates. The flavor can also be affected when frozen.
More Delicious Dips
- Pepperoni Pizza Dip
- Caramelized Onion Dip
- Hot Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Best Guacamole Recipe
- Cranberry Cilantro Dip
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a rating and review, or scroll below the recipe card and do so there.
Buffalo Chicken Dip with Blue Cheese
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken
- 8 oz cream cheese - softened
- 1 cup buffalo sauce
- 1 cup ranch dressing
- 1 3/4 cups Colby jack cheese - divided (can subsitute sharp cheddar cheese)
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. In a large bowl mix the chicken, cream cheese, buffalo sauce, ranch dressing, and 1 cup of cheese.
- Spoon the mixture into a greased (with cooking spray) 9"x9" inch pan, or 9"inch pie plate.
- Sprinkle the remaining cheese and the bleu cheese crumbles overtop. Bake for 15-20 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve immediately with tortilla chips, celery sticks, bread… etc.
This recipe was originally published on Feb. 28, 2020. It was republished on Jan. 16, 2022, to include additional information and photos.