Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks
These Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks feature juicy meat and a golden brown crispy exterior. With only five minutes of prep time, these drumsticks are an easy and delicious dinner.
Easy Baked Chicken Drumsticks
Drumsticks have a lot going for them, they’re easy to hold, have a nice juicy meat, and kids love them.
For this chicken drumsticks recipe we’re using a flour coating and then spritzing it with some olive oil to help the exterior crisp to perfection.
Seasonings for drumsticks
A nice thing about this recipe is that it has plenty of room for creativity and leeway. You can add more of a particular seasoning or less, depending on the desired taste you’re going for.
But for this recipe I used the following:
- Flour & cornstarch
- Garlic powder
- Dried basil
- Dried oregano
- Dried thyme
- Salt & pepper
Pro tip: You can replace the garlic powder with garlic salt. Just keep in mind the breading will be much saltier. If you choose to go this route I suggest reducing the amount of salt added to only 1/2 to 1 tsp or so.
How to make Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks
To begin, dry the drumsticks with a paper towel. Keep the skin on the drumsticks.
Place the flour, cornstarch, and dry seasonings in a large ziplock bag.
To the bag add 2 drumsticks. Seal the bag and gently shake it so that the flour mixture coats both drumsticks.
Remove the coated drumsticks and place them on a wire rack sitting overtop a baking sheet.
Pro tip: Before you place the chicken on the wire rack, lightly coat the rack with nonstick cooking spray to prevent the chicken from sticking.
Continue adding the drumsticks, 2 at a time, to the ziplock bag.
Once all of the chicken drumsticks are evenly coated in flour, it’s time to bake them.
How to bake chicken drumsticks
Before placing the drumsticks in the oven, generously spritz each drumstick with olive oil and then sprinkle some salt overtop.
Tip: If you don’t have olive oil, you can use a few squirts of nonstick cooking spray.
The olive oil will help the drumsticks crisp up in the oven.
Bake for 40-45 minutes, turning the drumsticks halfway through baking.
For added crunch and crispiness turn the oven to broil and bake for 4-5 minutes or until the skin is a dark golden brown. When I broiled this chicken I moved the baking rack up to the top so that the chicken was closer to the flames. Always keep an eye on the food when you’re broiling. Every oven is different.
More delicious chicken recipes:
- Copycat Wingers Sticky Fingers
- Avocado Chicken Wrap
- Creamy Dijon Mustard Chicken
- BBQ Chicken Sandwich Recipe
Craving more? SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER’S NEWSLETTER to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox!
Crispy Baked Chicken Drumsticks
- 12 chicken drumsticks - patted dry with paper towels (keep skin on)
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons paprika
- 3 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- olive oil - for spritzing
- Preheat oven to 400. Line a baking sheet with tin foil and place a baking rack overtop of the baking sheet, lightly spray the wire rack with cooking spray. If you don’t have one, spray the foil with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a large ziplock bag combine the flour,cornstarch, paprika, garlic powder, basil, thyme, oregano, and salt and pepper. Shake to combine the ingredients.
- Place 2 drumsticks in the bag, seal, and shake to coat. Once the drumsticks are coated with flour remove from the bag and transfer to the wire rack.
- Continue adding drumsticks to the bag, 2 at a time, until all are covered in the flour mixture. Spritz the drumsticks with olive oil and then sprinkle with salt.
- Bake for 20 minutes and then turn them over. Continue baking for an additional 20 minutes. Broil for 3-4 minutes or until the tops have browned. *
- Bake until meat reaches 185°F. Remove from the oven and serve plain or with your favorite barbecue sauce.
This post contains affiliate links. I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.