Ice Cream Cake Roll
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
A drool worthy dessert! This Ice Cream Cake Roll is easy to make and loved by everyone!
Ice Cream Cake Roll. Sounds daunting right!? NO. It’s so easy to make!
This is the dessert my family eats EVERY December when we have Christmas dinner. My mother would make this ice cream cake roll, and she always made a big deal about how hard it was. I think the only “hard” part about making this ice cream cake roll, is rolling it up without it cracking.
When I made this cake for the first time I couldn’t believe how easy it was!
How to make Ice Cream Cake Roll
- Once the cake is out of the oven, place a thin kitchen towel on a flat work surface.
- Sift 2/3-3/4 cup of powdered sugar on to the towel. You don’t need to cover the ENTIRE towel. But it needs to cover enough space to fit the cake. Don’t be shy with the powdered sugar. If you think 3/4 cup isn’t enough, add more. The powdered sugar prevents the cake from sticking to the towel. Be generous.
- Turn the cake onto the powdered sugar lined towel. GENTLY roll the cake and towel together. Rolling the cake while warm creates “muscle memory” if you will, for the cake.
- Once the cake has cooled, unroll the cake and add the softened ice cream. My homemade creamy vanilla ice cream tastes amazing in this cake roll! I pull my ice cream out of the freezer 15 minutes or so before I plan on spreading it over the cake. You want the ice cream to be workable.
- Gently spread the ice cream over the cake until you have achieved an even layer covering the cake. Just remember, if you add a lot of ice cream, you won’t get much of a swirl effect. I’ve made this cake multiple times, once with A LOT of ice cream and then with 16 oz of ice cream (which is pictured here). Both tasted great! So do whatever floats your boat.
- Roll the cake and ice cream up. Cover with aluminum foil and immediately place in the freezer for 4-6 hours or until firm.
- Serve with hot fudge, powdered sugar, or crushed candy canes.
To make things fun, I’ll switch out the vanilla ice cream for something more festive, such as peppermint ice cream if we’re eating this around Christmas and New Years.
Or if it’s for my birthday dessert I’ll add cookies ‘n cream ice cream. This dessert is very customizable, so have fun with it!!
If you love this Ice Cream Cake Roll recipe, try these:
Craving more? SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox!
Ice Cream Cake Roll
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a jellyroll pan with parchment paper, and grease the paper well. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, beat the eggs for 2 minutes on high speed until fluffy. Gradually add the granulated sugar. Beat 2 more minutes. Add remaining ingredients. Beat on low for 1 minute. Pour batter into the jellyroll pan and use a spatula to spread the batter into an even layer. Bake for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spread a thin dishtowel onto a flat surface. Generously dust the towel with powdered sugar. Remove cake from oven, and let cool for 5 minutes. Turn the cake onto the prepared towel. Peel off the parchment paper.
- Immediately roll cake and towel together and let cool.
- Once cool, unroll cake and spread with softened ice cream. Re-roll cake without towel. Cover with aluminum foil or plastic wrap and place in the freezer. Let it freeze for 4-6 hours, but preferable overnight.
- Remove from freezer, slice, and serve with dusted powdered sugar and hot fudge.
Items I used for this recipe:
Kitchen Towel (I like the flour sack towels because they are thin).