Oreo Ice Cream Cake
This Oreo Ice Cream Cake has 5 delicious layers: crushed Oreos, cookies ‘n cream ice cream, hot fudge, whipped topping, and topped with even more Oreos! This cake is the perfect sweet treat to serve for hot summer days!
It’s getting warmer these days, and to combat the heat I had to make a frozen dessert recipe. Are you an Oreo lover? If so, you’ll love this no churn Oreo ice cream, Crumbl Oreo sandwich cookie, cookies and cream popsicles, no-bake Oreo dessert, and my classic Oreo milkshake! There are so many fun dessert options when it comes to Oreos!
Why This Recipe Works
- Only 4 ingredients needed. To make this delicious Oreo Ice Cream Cake, you only need 4 ingredients!
- Makes plenty! This frozen dessert makes a ton! It’s perfect for large gatherings and parties.
- Make ahead dessert. This is the easiest make ahead dessert! And not only can you make it ahead of time, but if you have any leftovers, just dump them in a blender and make an Oreo milkshake!
- Oreos: You’ll need approximately 1 box of regular Oreos, crushed. Use a food processor and pulse a few times. You can also put the Oreos in a plastic bag and use a rolling pin to crush them.
- Cookies ‘n Cream Ice Cream: You’ll need 1.75 quarts of ice cream.
- Hot fudge: A whole 24 oz… it’s so good! Follow along in my Old Fashioned Hot Fudge Sauce recipe! A single batch of my homemade hot fudge is the perfect amount for this recipe.
- Cool Whip: You’ll want to use cool whip instead of homemade whipped cream because cool whip will hold up a lot better.
- Crush the Oreos. Crush the Oreos into a fine crumb. Mix all but 2/3 cup of the Oreos with some melted butter. The 2/3 cup crushed Oreos will be reserved for the top of the Oreo blizzard cake.
- Press the crust. Press the Oreo butter mixture into a 13×9 inch baking dish. This will make the crust.
- Add the ice cream layer. Spread the softened cookies ‘n cream ice cream on top of the Oreo crust. Place in the freezer for 2-3 hours or until firm.
- Spread the warmed hot fudge on top. Make sure your hot fudge is warm enough to spread. If not, heat up the fudge in the microwave until warm. Spread on top of the ice cream until it’s in a smooth, even layer. Place the dish back into the freezer for 1 hour.
- Add the Cool Whip and crushed Oreos. Once frozen, spread the frozen whipped topping over the fudge and finish it off with the remaining crushed Oreos. Return to the freezer for 3-4 hours or overnight. Serve cold!
You do not need to remove the cream from the Oreo center. We are crushing the full Oreo
Make sure the ice cream has softened. If it’s partially frozen, you’ll find it really difficult to spread it into the pan. I find it easiest to scoop the ice cream into a large bowl. This tends to speed up the thawing/softening process.
When adding the hot fudge, the ice cream will melt a little bit, which is fine. Everything will be frozen eventually.
Thaw the Oreo cookie ice cream cake slightly before serving, this will help with cutting and eating it. Placing the Oreo ice cream cake in the fridge 20-30 minutes prior to serving or leave it on the counter at room temperature 10-15 minutes prior to serving.
Before slicing the cake, place a serrated knife in a tall glass full of hot water. The warm blade will glide right through the ice cream cake, creating clean and even slices. Place the knife back in the hot water as needed.
If you happen to have leftovers of this ice cream cake, add a large slice of the cake and a splash of milk to a blender. Blend for 15-20 seconds or until you achieve a thick milkshake consistency. You just made the most amazing Oreo milkshake!
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
You need to make this Oreo ice cream cake ahead of time due to the time needed to freeze each layer.
Store the cookies and cream ice cream cake covered in the freezer for up to 7 days. Due to the Cool Whip, the cake won’t last as long in the freezer.
Yes, it’s helpful if you make this dessert one day in advance, mainly because it will hold its shape much better if given the full 4 hours of freezer time after it’s been fully assembled.
It will last 5-7 days in the freezer. If your ice cream cake does not contain whipped cream, cream cheese, eggs, or butter it can last for up to 2 months. This cookies n cream ice cream cake contains whipped cream, so it falls in that category.
Yes you can.
Your ice cream is too frozen. You want the ice cream to be softened so it is spreadable. Let the ice cream sit out for a little bit longer until you can spread it.
More Frozen Recipes
Oreo Ice Cream Cake
- In a medium size bowl add all but 2/3 cup of the crushed oreos. Stir in the melted butter.
- Transfer the oreo and butter mixture to a 13×9” casserole dish, press into the pan.
- Spread the softened ice cream over the crust and freeze for 2-3 hours.
- Remove from the freezer and drizzle the warm fudge over the ice cream. Freeze 1 hour.
- Add whipped topping over the fudge and spread into an even layer. Sprinkle remaining crushed Oreos overtop.
- Freeze for 3-4 hours or overnight.