Pink Lady Mocktail
Have you ever heard of a Pink Lady cocktail? My non-alcoholic version of this classic cocktail is the ideal balance of tart and sweet. I love how bright and cheerful it is! Treat yourself to this pink mocktail at the end of a long day, or serve it at your next party. It’s the perfect non-alcoholic pink drink for special occasions – Valentine’s Day, bridal showers, baby showers, and more.
If you like mocktails, you’re in the right place. I have several mocktail recipes using Sprite, 7 UP, or ginger ale. If you like this Pink Lady Mocktail recipe, make sure to check out my Blueberry Mocktail, Strawberry Mojito Mocktail, and Blue Lagoon Mocktail.
Why This Recipe Works
- Non-alcoholic drink recipe. It’s nice to have non-alcoholic drink options that aren’t just plain water or soda. This apple juice mocktail is great for both adults and kids!
- Simple to make. There’s no need to make a simple syrup as this drink gets its sweetness from apple juice and grenadine.
- Scalable. The amounts listed in this recipe will make one mocktail, but you can easily scale up your ingredients to make several mocktails or make a pink lady punch.
- Grenadine: Grenadine syrup is a pomegranate-flavored syrup that is a common component in many mixed drinks, both alcoholic and non-alcoholic. Probably the most famous grenadine mocktail is a classic Shirley Temple. This syrup adds the majority of the sweetness to this cocktail and gives it a pink hue.
- Apple juice: Apple juice makes up the bulk of our mocktail and also adds some sweetness. If you’d like more mocktail recipes with apple juice, try my Non-Alcoholic Sangria.
- Lemon juice: Lemon juice provides a nice tart flavor to balance out the sweetness of the grenadine. I recommend freshly squeezed lemon juice, as bottled lemon juice will have a noticeably different taste.
- Egg white: Egg whites are traditionally added to mixed drinks for mouthfeel. The egg white will thicken the drink just slightly. Egg white can also calm down intense sour flavors, such as the lemon juice included in this cocktail. Finally, egg whites are key to making foamy cocktails, which is fun! You can make this drink without the egg white, but be aware the texture will be different and it may taste more sour.
- Club soda: Club soda adds a nice fizz to this drink, without making it even sweeter the way lemon-lime soda would. Unflavored seltzer or soda water would also work for this recipe.
- Maraschino cherries: Maraschino cherries are the literal cherry on top! You don’t have to add Maraschino cherries to this recipe, but they make it feel extra special. Plus, they’re a sweet little snack. Pomegranate seeds could also be a fun garnish.
- Mix the first four ingredients. Add 2 oz apple juice, 1 oz freshly squeezed lemon juice, 0.75 oz grenadine, and one egg white to a cocktail shaker or a mason jar. Close and shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Add ice. Chill your mocktail by adding ice cubes to the shaker or jar and shaking for another 30 seconds, or until the mixture is chilled.
- Add mixture to club soda. Pour 1 oz club soda into a cocktail glass, then strain the mocktail mixture into the glass.
- Garnish and serve. Top your drink with maraschino cherries and enjoy!
For a fun variation, swap the egg white for 1 oz heavy cream. This version of the Pink Lady is called a Pink Shimmy and supposedly dates back to the 1920s!
Club soda comes in 7.5 oz cans. You can make seven Pink Lady mocktails with one can of club soda if you scale up the other ingredients 7x.
If you feel like this drink is too sweet, or you would like it to be more tart, feel free to play around with it by adjusting the amount of grenadine and lemon juice. I bet this would also be delicious with lime juice.
The alcoholic version of this drink is traditionally made with gin. You can substitute apple juice for gin, or add 1 oz of gin to the recipe as is.
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
Make Ahead: You can mix up a large batch of the apple juice, grenadine, lemon juice and egg white in advance and keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days. The egg white may separate from the other ingredients, so you’ll have to shake it again before pouring it over club soda. Don’t add it to the club soda until serving so it stays fizzy.
Storing: Store any leftover mocktail in the fridge for 1-2 days. Be aware that it will lose its fizziness as time goes on.
Freezing: You can freeze the apple juice, grenadine, lemon juice, and egg white mixture in ice cube trays. Let them thaw in the fridge before pouring over club soda and serving.
It is safe to consume pasteurized raw egg whites. If you prefer not to, you can leave the egg white out, but it will change the texture and possibly the tartness of the drink. You can also use 1 oz of heavy cream instead of egg white to make a drink called the Pink Shimmy.
If you don’t have grenadine, you can substitute raspberry or strawberry syrup. The syrup from your maraschino cherries will also work!
Once it’s opened, grenadine does not need to be refrigerated. However, it may start to lose some of its taste after 2-3 months. To preserve it longer, you can refrigerate it. I guess I’ll need to work on more recipes for mocktails with grenadine so we can use up the bottle!
Great question! First of all, you can store egg yolks in the fridge for up to two days. You can also freeze egg yolks. Second, there are many uses for egg yolks – add an extra yolk to brownies (like my Marshmallow Brownies), cakes (like my Yellow Cake with Chocolate Frosting), or cookies (like my Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars).
Cranberry juice will be more tart and will not be as similar to the classic Pink Lady drink, but I’m sure it would be a delicious substitute.
More Drink Recipes
- Limeade Slush Punch
- Virgin Strawberry Daiquiri
- Non-Alcoholic Mint Julep
- Strawberry Kiwi Lemonade
- Raspberry Mojito Mocktail
Pink Lady Mocktail
- 2 oz apple juice
- 1 oz lemon juice - freshly squeezed
- 3/4 oz grenadine
- 1 egg white - use pasteurized eggs
- 1 oz club soda - or sparkling water
- maraschino cherries - for garnish
- Fill a cocktail shaker (or a mason jar) with the apple juice, lemon juice, grenadine, and egg white. Place the lid on (or screw a mason jar lid on tight) and shake vigorously for 30 seconds. Add ice and shake for another 30 seconds or until chilled.
- Add the club soda to a glass then strain the mocktail mixture into the glass. Garnish with maraschino cherries and serve.