Baked Chicken Taquitos
Baked Chicken Taquitos that are ready in just 30 minutes! These easy taquitos are welcomed by people of all ages. Serve these crispy chicken taquitos with my homemade cilantro salsa sauce, guacamole, Pico de Gallo, and Mexican street corn casserole.
Why This Recipe Works
- Great way to use leftover chicken. Have any leftover chicken from dinner the other night? Need to use up some rotisserie chicken? This is a great way to repurpose leftovers into something utterly delicious!
- Easy dinner. This recipe is perfect for Friday night dinners or for busy weeknights because it is easy to make and doesn’t take a lot of time.
- Great freezer meal. If you like making freezer meals, this is a great one! You can double or even triple this recipe and store the extras in the freezer to use for lunches or dinners later on.
- Packed with flavor! There are some great flavors in this recipe! The fresh cilantro, green onions, salsa, Greek yogurt, etc. are some of my favorite elements on the filling. It’s so tasty!
- Chicken: This can be cooked chicken or rotisserie chicken that is shredded or chopped. Just make sure it’s cooked before making the taquitos mixture.
- Cream Cheese: The cream cheese adds a nice tangy flavor and, of course, a creamy texture!
- Greek Yogurt: I wanted a really creamy filling for these oven baked taquitos, but I didn’t want to use an entire block of cream cheese. Using Greek yogurt helped provide the creaminess I wanted but a bit healthier option.
- Cheese: Feel free to use whatever cheese you prefer. Great options would be cheddar cheese, Swiss cheese, Monterey Jack cheese, pepper jack cheese, Colby jack cheese, etc.
- Green Onions: The green onions adds a nice flavor to the mixture as well as a variety of texture.
- Salsa: Use whatever spice level you and your family likes.
- Cilantro: The fresh cilantro is my favorite element of this baked chicken taquitos recipe. It adds such a nice freshness and Mexican flavor flair to the dish.
- Make the chicken taquitos filling. In a large bowl, combine all of the filling ingredients: shredded chicken, cream cheese, greek yogurt, salsa, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, coriander, salt, green onions, cilantro, and shredded cheese. Stir until everything is combined.
- Add the filling to the tortillas. Place a few tablespoons of the chicken mixture on each tortilla, roll up tightly and place seam side down on a baking sheet with a silicone mat or sprayed with nonstick spray.
- Brush with butter or olive oil. For added crispiness brush the tops of the cream cheese chicken taquitos with some melted butter or a spritz of olive oil prior to placing in the oven.
- Bake at 425ºF for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with cilantro salsa sauce. (See recipe card below).
If you want a nice and crunchy, golden brown taquito, you can brush a small amount of butter over the torillas prior to baking them. If you’d rather not use butter, use a spritz of olive oil.
Use whatever cheese you’d like. I used Colby Jack cheese because I always have that in my refrigerator. To add a little more heat, you can use pepper jack cheese. Monterey Jack would be delicious too.
You want the cream cheese to be really soft before adding it to the bowl so it is easier to stir. To get it to a good stirring stage, I’ll put it in a microwave safe bowl and microwave it for 15-20 seconds. Doing this will make everything much easier.
To prevent the tortillas from cracking or breaking while you roll them, let the tortillas come to room temperature prior to rolling or put them in the microwave for a few seconds to warm them up so they’ll roll more easily.
Note: This will make a different number of taquitos depending on how much filling is in each tortilla.
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
Store the baked chicken taquitos in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. To reheat, place on a lined baking sheet and bake at 425ºF for about 16 minutes or until warm and crispy. You can spray them with olive oil again to help the outsides get crispy.
To freeze, let the baked taquitos cool completely before storing them in an airtight container or Ziplock bag in the freezer for up to 3 months. To freeze the taquitos before baking them, flash freeze them on a baking sheet until solid (for about 30 minutes) and then transfer to a Ziplock bag or airtight container and freezer for up to 3 months.
Remove from the freezer and bake from frozen at 400º for about 20-25 minutes or until warmed through.
Yes! This is a great recipe to freeze! I would freeze them prior to baking them. But if you have any leftover taquitos that are already baked, it’s fine to freeze those as well. Freeze the chicken taquitos on a baking sheet until solid and then transfer to a ziplock bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Remove from the freezer and bake from frozen at 400ºF for 20-25 minutes.
Yes for sure! Use your favorite kind of salsa and kick up the heat with a spicier salsa if you’d like.
If you are using raw tortillas, I would recommend cooking them first before making them into taquitos. Since you are rolling the taquitos, the inside of the tortillas may not cook correctly or all the way.
More Chicken Recipes
- Avocado Chicken Wraps
- BBQ Chicken Sandwich Recipe
- Dijon Mustard Chicken
- Curry Chicken and Rice
- Chicken Salad Sandwich recipe
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a rating and review, or scroll below the recipe card and do so there.
Stay up-to-date by following us on Instagram, Facebook, and Pinterest.
Baked Chicken Taquitos
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 4 oz cream cheese - softened
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/3 cup salsa
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 green onions - sliced
- 3 tablespoons cilantro - chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese - any kind, Colby Jack, Pepper Jack
- flour tortillas
Cilantro Salsa Sauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 1 tablespoon cilantro - minced
- 1 teaspoon lime juice
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat (for easy clean up). Or grease the pan with cooking spray.
- In a medium sized bowl combine all of the filling ingredients: shredded chicken, cream cheese, Greek yogurt, salsa, cumin, chili powder, garlic powder, coriander, salt, green onions, cilantro, and shredded cheese. Stir until combined.
- Place a few tablespoons of the chicken mixture on each tortilla, roll up tightly and place seam side down on the baking sheet. Tip: leave a small space at the edges of the tortilla so that the mixture doesn’t ooze out while baking.
- For added crispiness brush the tortillas with some melted butter or a spritz of olive oil prior to placing in the oven.
- Bake for 16-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let cool a few minutes before eating; serve with the cilantro salsa sauce.
Cilantro Salsa Sauce
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a small bowl. Cover and store in the refrigerator until ready to use.
This recipe was originally published on Sept. 4, 2019. It was republished on Jan. 12, 2022, to include additional information and photos.
3 Comments on “Baked Chicken Taquitos”
We had these for dinner last night and thought they were delicious! My husband was so excited to take leftovers for lunch. I used salsa verde in the filling for my spice-sensitive kids. No complaints about spiciness from them! One recipe filled 9 standard-sized flour tortillas for me.
So glad you all enjoyed it! Thanks for leaving a rating and review.
Love this quick and easy dinner recipe! Thanks.