Chicken Salad Sandwich Recipe
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This easy Chicken Salad Sandwich recipe is loaded with flavor and perfect textures! This chicken salad features crisp red grapes, crunchy celery, salted cashews, and a perfect blend of seasonings to elevate the flavor!
This is a great recipe to have on hand for last minute sandwich prep.
I hate to brag, but… this is the best chicken salad! It’s the truth.
I’ve had chicken salad from Costco, and it’s ok, nothing spectacular by any means.
The trick with chicken salad is this, you must season appropriately. This recipe has the perfect blend of seasonings. I use (and love) Mrs. Dash Seasoning and celery salt.
The last word you’ll think of when eating these chicken salad sandwiches is “bland.”
Here’s what you need to get started…
Chicken Salad Sandwich Ingredients
- Chicken – cooked and shredded, you’ll need about 3 cups worth. Note: rotisserie chicken would work great here!
- Mayo – I love mayo so I always use it in my chicken salad recipe, however, if you’re looking to make a healthier chicken salad sandwich you can try substituting some plain greek yogurt for the mayo. I probably wouldn’t do a complete swap, but maybe start with 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt.
- Celery – chopped. I seriously love celery, like love. If, on the other hand, you aren’t as big a fan as I am, you can reduce the amount you use.
- Grapes – an icon ingredient (and totally necessary if you ask me) to any chicken salad sandwich recipe! I use red grapes but you can use green grapes too.
- Cashews – roughly chop the cashews. If you’re watching your salt intake use unsalted cashews.
- Mrs. Dash seasoning – this seasoning is what makes this recipe so amazing! Use it, and you’ll be hooked. It’s what makes this the BEST chicken salad recipe!
- Celery salt – because obviously I need another form of celery. Just kidding. The celery salt actually adds another layer of flavor. Note: this recipe isn’t majorly “celery tasting.” Yeah, don’t even worry. It’s not like that at all.
- Salt & pepper for additional seasoning, to taste.
- Croissants or dinner rolls for serving.
How to make chicken salad?
You can make this classic chicken salad in only 10 minutes!
- Chop the cooked and cooled chicken, then add the chicken to a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the bowl.
- Mix the mayo and seasonings into the chicken salad.
- Serve on croissants, homemade rolls, or slices of bread.
Pro tip: this is a great recipe to use leftover chicken you may have in the fridge from last nights dinner. You can even use rotisserie chicken, bottled chicken, or grilled chicken. Just make sure it’s cooked and shredded or chopped into bite sized pieces.
Chicken salad sandwich FAQ and tips
When it comes to chicken salad sandwich add-ins I like to keep it simple. I add the traditional grapes, celery, and nuts but you can also add chopped chives or sliced green onions.
You don’t have to use cashews in this chicken salad sandwich recipe, others have used pecans or even sliced almonds.
If you’re looking to make a healthier chicken salad sandwich you can try substituting plain greek yogurt for the mayo. I probably wouldn’t do a complete swap, but maybe start with 1/2 cup mayo and 1/2 cup plain greek yogurt.
The beautiful thing about this recipe is you don’t have to follow it exactly. If you want more grapes, add more grapes. If you want more cashews, add more cashews.
I hope you enjoy this recipe because it’s one of my favorite lunches!
If you love this chicken salad sandwich recipe, check out these:
- Avocado Chicken Wraps
- Massaman Curry
- Cucumber and Dill Sandwiches
- Tomato Pesto Sandwich
- Curry Chicken and Rice
Can I ask a favor? If you make this recipe, or any recipe on Salt & Baker, can you come back and leave a review? I would love that so much! Your comments help other readers who are making the recipes too.
And one more thing!! If you use Instagram, snap a picture of your food and tag @saltandbaker in your post and stories so I can see what you’re making in your home. 💛
Chicken Salad Sandwich
- 3 cups chicken, cooked and shredded about 16 oz
- 1 cup mayo
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped (I do a heaping 3/4 cup)
- 1 1/2 cups grapes cut in half
- 2/3 cup cashews, roughly chopped (I like a lot of cashews so I'll do a heaping 2/3 cup, or even 1 cup)
- 1/2 tablespoon Mrs. Dash seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon celery salt
- 8-10 rolls or croissants*
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a large bowl combine the shredded chicken, mayo, celery, grapes, cashews, Mrs. Dash seasoning,and celery salt. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Cut rolls or croissants in half length wise, and fill each roll with the chicken salad filling. Add lettuce to the sandwich if you'd like. Serve immediately.
This post was first published February 3, 2018 and was updated January 19, 2020 to include process photos and more instructions on how to make chicken salad.