Grilled Tomato, Mozzarella, and Pesto Sandwich Recipe
This Grilled Tomato, Mozzarella, and Pesto Sandwich Recipe is HANDS DOWN amazing!! The basil pesto, mayo, and tomatoes offer a juicy flavorful sandwich! Make this tomato sandwich for lunch or dinner. Kids and adults gobble this right up!
This has to be one of the easiest “recipes” I’ve posted.
Making a pesto sandwich isn’t rocket science. But nonetheless, I will treat it as such and explain how to make THE BEST Grilled Tomato, Mozzarella, and Pesto Sandwich!
How to make Grilled Tomato, Mozzarella, and Pesto Sandwiches:
- Cut two slices of bread, I opted to use whole wheat bread because this is what we usually have on hand.
- Slather one side of bread with mayo, and the other with basil pesto.
- Top your bread with tomatoes, a sprinkling of salt, and then the mozzarella
- Grill on a panini press. I linked the one we own, I use it ALL the time! Meat sandwiches, grilled cheese, grilled tomato, mozzarella, and pesto sandwiches to name a few. If you don’t own a panini press, you can warm up a skillet on your stovetop and grill your sandwich via thought route.
- Eat and enjoy!
Do you need to use homemade basil pesto to make a pesto sandwich?
- No. Homemade basil pesto isn’t necessary. I LOVE homemade pesto, but unless you have a green house with a large basil plant, chances are you don’t have homemade basil on hand during the winter months.
- However, if you’d like to give homemade pesto a shot, I have a great recipe right here. Basil pesto is easy to make and it tastes delicious!
How much mozzarella should I use when making a tomato sandwich?
I use anywhere from 1.5-2 oz of sliced mozzarella on each sandwich I make.
Once you see how much or how little 2 oz of cheese appears, you might opt for adding a touch more mozzarella on your sandwich, or slightly less. But 2 oz has proved to be my families sweet spot.
This grilled tomato, mozzarella, and pesto sandwich recipe is perfect to have on hand as these spring and summer months approach! This sandwich is healthy, filling, refreshing, and SO GOOD!
If you make this fresh tomato sandwich or any other recipe on my site, please come back and comment! I LOVE hearing from you!
Craving more? SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there!
This pesto sandwich is so easy to make and it tastes AMAZING! We eat this for lunch on a regular basis!
- 2 slices whole wheat bread or the bread of your choosing
- 1 tablespoon mayo (or more or less to your liking)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons basil peso
- 1 roma tomato, sliced
- 1.5-2 oz mozzarella, sliced
- salt, to taste
Spread the pesto on one slice of bread.
Spread the mayonnaise on the other slice of bread.
Place the tomatoes on the bread until the bread has been covered. Lightly salt the tomatoes.
Place the slices of mozzarella on the tomatoes.
Place the slice of bread with the pesto overtop the mozzarella and tomatoes.
Place your sandwich on a panini maker until all sides are crisp and golden brown. If you don't have a panini maker you can warm up a skillet on your stovetop and grill your sandwich that way.