Corn Fries are crispy French fries covered in delicious Mexican street corn (or Elote) mixture, slathered with a delicious chili lime crema sauce and topped with queso fresco! Turning Elote into Elote fries has never been yummier!
This Corn Fries recipe is a take on my Mexican Street Corn Casserole and my Air Fryer Frozen French Fries topped with a delicious chili lime crema that is an Elote spin on my Creamy Cilantro Lime Dressing.
Why This Recipe Works
- Perfect ratios. This recipe has perfect ratios of fries to corn to crema! Layering the fries, corn, and crema makes a really bit difference so you get some of each element in every bite!
- Packed with flavor. These Mexican street corn fries are so good! There is so much flavor in these! The salty and crispy fries topped with creamy and flavorful corn, queso fresco, and a chili lime sauce. It’s flavor heaven!
- Delicious side dish. This recipe is easy to make and great to scale up for large parties. No matter if this is a summer barbecue dish, fall family gathering, or game day finger food, these Elote fries are the perfect side dish or snack recipe!
- Frozen French Fries: You can use frozen French fries (straight or waffle fries work) or leftover French fries from your restaurant date night!
- Frozen Corn: You can use frozen corn that is thawed, canned corn that is drained or fresh corn on the cob that is cut off the cob and cooked.
- Chili Powder: This is a staple seasoning for any Mexican street corn! It gives the classic red powdered color you see and provides a touch of spice.
- Fresh Lime Juice and Zest: Since you need fresh lime zest, you’re going to need to buy fresh limes! There really isn’t a good replacement for the lime zest.
- Queso Fresco Cheese: Elote can be made with queso fresco or salty cotija cheese, whatever you prefer or can find. You’ll get a similar enough result.
- Mayo: Mexican street corn is known for being slathered in mayo, seasoning and lime juice!
- Cook the frozen French fries. Follow the instructions on my Frozen Fries in the Air Fryer recipe and cook the French fries until crispy.
- Make the chili lime crema. Whisk the mayo, sour cream, lime juice, chili powder, garlic powder and salt in a medium bowl until combined.
- Make the Mexican street corn. While the fries are cooking, make the Mexican street corn. Add the frozen corn, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt to a skillet. Cook for 8-10 minutes on medium heat. Remove and stir in the lime zest, lime juice, 4 oz of the quest fresco and 1/2 of the cilantro (about 2 tablespoons).
- Assemble the corn fries. On a large serving plate or platter, add 1/2 the fries, drizzle 1/3 of the Mexican crema on top, then put 1/2 the street corn on top. Add the remaining half of the fries, 1/3 of the crema, the rest of the street corn and then drizzle the rest of the crema on top. Garnish with cilantro and queso fresco. Enjoy immediately!
You want the French fries to be extra crispy so the Mexican street corn casserole and the crema on top don’t turn them extra soggy.
Feel free to add some Cafe Rio Black Beans for some added protein. Plus, you can add some salsa, avocado, Guacamole, or Pico de Gallo to the corn fries too, if you want!
Layering the fries, corn, crema, and cheese really helps make sure there is something of everything in each bite! Even when you start getting to the bottom of the pile of fries, there’s still that delicious Mexican corn and crema sauce!
Garnish with extra lime wedges, fresh cilantro and lots of cheese! You can even have some additional crema in a small bowl on the side in case people want some more.
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
It’s best to store each element of the corn fries separately.
Store any leftover chili lime crema in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. Store any leftover Mexican street corn topping in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days.
Store the fries separately so they don’t soak up the moisture from the crema and corn.
Make just enough of the corn fries as you’ll need since the fries will lose some crispiness after sitting in the the crema and corn for a while.
Do not freeze the chili lime crema. Due to the dairy in the the recipe, it will not hold up well frozen.
Elote is another term for Mexican street corn. It’s corn with mayonnaise, chili powder, lime juice, cotija cheese and cilantro. It can be on the cob or off the cob.
Yes you can! You can use thawed frozen corn, drained canned corn, or corn on the cob that has been cut and cooked.
Yes you can! This recipe would taste amazing over Roasted Frozen Cauliflower, Air Fryer Potato Wedges, or Orzo Rice.
More Corn Recipes
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Leave a star rating and review or scroll below the recipe card and do so there.
Stay up-to-date by following us on Instagram, TikTok, Facebook, and Pinterest.
- 16 oz frozen French fries
- 16 oz frozen corn - thawed
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- zest of 1/2 lime
- 1 lime - juiced
- 5 oz queso fresco cheese - crumbled, and divided
- 1/4 cup cilantro - chopped
Chili Lime Crema
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Cook the French fries either in the oven, or in an air fryer until crisp. Follow my Air Fryer Frozen French Fries recipe for details on air frying.
Make the Mexican Street Corn
- While the fries are cooking add the frozen corn, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt to a skillet over medium heat. Cook for 8-10 minutes or until hot, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and stir in the lime zest, lime juice, 4 oz of the queso fresco cheese, and ½ of the cilantro (2 tablespoons worth).
Make the Chili Lime Crema
- In a medium bowl whisk the mayo, sour cream, lime juice, chili powder, garlic powder, and salt.
- On a large serving plate add half of the French fries, a drizzle of 1/3 of the crema and top with half of the street corn. Add the remaining French fries on top, then 1/3 of the crema. Add the last of the street corn and finally top everything with the remaining 1/3 of the crema and the 2 T of cilantro and 1 oz of queso fresco cheese. Enjoy immediately.