EASY Tapioca Pudding Recipe
This homemade Tapioca Pudding recipe is easy to make and uses only 5 ingredients!
My experience/memories of tapioca pudding start about 3 week back. Haha! I think I *might* have tasted tapioca pudding when I was younger, but the memory is hazy. My parent’s weren’t big fans of the so called “dessert” which means, we never had the pleasure of eating it. So sad.
But I’m an adult now so I have the freedom to make the foods I want to eat (one of the major perks of adulthood).
Making this pudding is easy and requires only 4 kitchen staple ingredients + instant tapioca.
Ingredients in Tapioca Pudding
Here’s what you’ll need to make this recipe:
- Milk – you can use whole milk or 2%. I haven’t tried making this with almond milk or soy milk, but I image it should work just fine.
- Egg – use a large egg.
- Granulated sugar
- Instant Tapioca – if you want a thicker tapioca consistency, then up the amount of tapioca you use. I note this in the recipe card as well.
- Vanilla extract – for flavor.
How to make Tapioca Pudding
In a medium sized saucepan whisk the milk and egg to combine.
Use a wooden spoon and mix the sugar and tapioca into the milk and egg mixture. Let this sit for 5 minutes.
After the 5 minutes, turn the heat to medium and and stirring consistently, bring the mixture to a full rolling boil. While it’s coming to a boil make sure you’re scraping the bottom of the saucepan so that the pudding doesn’t stick or burn.
Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
Let the pudding sit for 20-30 minutes, you can also place it in the refrigerator to speed up the process if you’d like. The pudding will firm up as it cools.
Serve tapioca pudding warm or cold.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Tapioca pudding consistency
This pudding recipe isn’t overly thick. If you want a thicker tapioca pudding, add more instant tapioca. About 3 1/2 tablespoons rather than the 3 tablespoons called for in the recipe card.
If you make this recipe or any other recipe from Salt & Baker, be sure to come back and leave a rating and review! Myself and other readers really appreciate the feedback!
Now, if you’re a fan of delicious food, sign up below! You’ll receive top-notch recipes straight to your inbox. It’s easy and FREE!
- 2 3/4 cups milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons instant tapioca - See note #1
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a saucepan whisk the milk and egg to combine.
- Use a wooden spoon and mix in the sugar and tapioca. Let this mixture sit for 5-6 minutes. After it sits for 5 minutes, turn the heat to medium and bring the mixture to a full boil, stirring continuously (so as to not let the bottom stick or burn).
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla.
- Let sit for 15-30 minutes. Pudding will firm up as it cools.
- Serve warm or cold. Store leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Tapioca Pudding Notes:
- If you want a thicker tapioca pudding, use 3 1/2 tablespoons of instant tapioca, rather than just 3 tablespoons.