Homemade Buttermilk Pancakes
The BEST homemade buttermilk pancakes are right here folks! These homemade buttermilk pancakes are light, ultra fluffy, and full of the most amazing buttery flavor. Slather some butter, syrup, or fruit on top and you’re eating like a king!
I’ve finally found the perfect buttermilk pancake recipe, from scratch. This one here. There is one profound secret to obtaining light and fluffy pancakes. Here it is:
Whip the egg whites.
You whip the egg whites until they form soft peaks. Doing this brings in TONS of air!
How do you think you get light and fluffy pancakes? Introducing air. That’s the only way you can successfully get that fluffy pancake texture. And trust me, if you do it correctly, you WILL NOT have a saggy pancake. ❤
How to make homemade buttermilk pancakes, from scratch:
- Separate the egg yolk and egg whites. Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form. (SUPER IMPORTANT!)
- Don’t substitute the buttermilk for a homemade buttermilk concoction. They don’t taste the same. You need real buttermilk. (Sorry. But I promise, it’s worth it).
- Once you’ve agreed to follow steps 1 and 2. It’s a matter of following the recipe. Combine dry ingredients.
- Mix wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. DON’T OVER MIX. Lumpy batter is good.
- Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Place dollops of pancake batter on a 300°F griddle. Serve with your favorite syrup.
There’s nothing like homemade buttermilk pancakes from scratch. I’m so confident in this recipe, I can guarantee you’ll never make pancakes from a box ever again.
If you’ve tried these Buttermilk Pancakes or any other recipe on my blog, don’t forget to rate the recipe and let me know what you thought in the comments below! I love hearing from you! Be sure to SUBSCRIBE with your email address to receive new recipe posts and/or the monthly newsletter!
The most delicious buttermilk pancakes made from scratch! You'll never make pancakes from a box ever again!
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 2 cups buttermilk *
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
In a large bowl, whisk the salt, baking powder, baking soda, flour, and sugar. Set aside.
In a medium size bowl add the egg yolks, buttermilk, vanilla extract, and melted butter. Mix to combine. I keep it simple and just use a fork and mix until the yolk is nice and broken up and combined with the other ingredients.
In a small bowl beat the egg whites until soft peaks form. Set aside.
Combine the wet ingredients with the dry ingredients. Mix for a few seconds (again, I just use a fork). When the flour and wet ingredients are partly combined fold in the fluffy egg whites. Don't over mix. It's fine to have small pieces of flour here and there.
Using a 1/3 measuring cup, scoop the batter onto a buttered 300°F griddle. Cook on each side for approximately 2-3 minutes. Serve warm with butter and maple syrup drizzled over the top.
*use REAL buttermilk!