Southwestern Sausage and Egg Burritos
This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
These Southwestern Sausage and Egg Burritos offer a punch of delicious south of the border flavors. Loaded with protein in numerous forms, these burritos can be served for breakfast, lunch, or dinner.
I’m really excited about this recipe! It combines some of my favorite foods into one delicious meal. I love Mexican inspired foods, and this is exactly that. I added corn, black beans, tomatoes, and an array of spices along with some eggs and sausage to create an irresistible breakfast burrito recipe.
But here’s the catch, you don’t have to eat it for breakfast. In fact, when I made this we had it for dinner! And it was incredible. My husband noted how much he loved it, followed by my 4 year old. (YESSSS!!) I swear, my son is going through a picky eating stage, so when I make something that he eats and loves, it’s a
day recipe to celebrate.
How to make Southwestern Sausage and Egg Burritos
To make these delicious burritos begin by browning the sausage. I always use Jimmy Dean brand sausage, I just love it.
Back to these burritos, as you’re browning the meat, make sure you’re breaking apart the meat as you go.
Pro tip: Add a pinch of red pepper flakes to the sausage as you brown the meat. If you prefer things on the milk side, don’t add the red pepper flakes. I’ve had this recipe both ways, and they’re delicious either way! Plus, you can be light handed on the red pepper flakes and you’ll hardly even taste them. 🙂
Once the meat is brown, transfer it to a paper towel lined plate. If there’s a lot of grease in the skillet, drain it so that the skillet is empty.
Add the eggs to the skillet and begin to scramble them. When the eggs are only a minute or two done cooking, add the black beans, corn, tomatoes, and spice mixture. Continue cooking until the eggs are fully cooked.
Add the sausage to the skillet and heat up until warm.
Scoop some of the mixture into a flour tortilla, top with shredded cheese, roll up, and enjoy!
Pro tip: this would taste delicious with some sliced avocados and a garnish of cilantro! YUM!!
SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER
If you love these recipes, be sure to subscribe. You’ll get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox…. you don’t want to miss out!
And don’t forget, if you make a recipe from my blog be sure to share it on social media. Tag @saltandbaker and #saltandbaker so I can see what you’ve made!
Southwest Sausage and Egg Burritos
- 1 lb breakfast sausage I like to use Jimmy Dean's regular sausage
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 10 large eggs lightly beaten (just use a fork)
- 1 cup black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn drained and rinsed
- 2 roma tomatoes diced
- 3/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- flour tortillas for serving
- colby jack cheese for topping
- In a skillet over medium heat, add the sausage and a pinch of red pepper flakes.* Cook until browned and no longer pink. Drain any excess fat accumulated while browning.
- Transfer the meat to a paper towel lined plate. In the hot skillet, add the eggs and scramble until they start to form. Add in the black beans, corn, and tomatoes. Stir and cook until eggs are done. When done, add the sausage back to the pan along with the chili powder, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Spoon the mixture into flour tortillas, top with a few tablespoons of shredded cheese. Roll up and serve immediately.