Kale Pesto Pasta
Kale Pesto Pasta is a quick and easy lunch or dinner recipe that can be made in 15 minutes flat! Serve this with some of my favorite sides: homemade buttermilk biscuits, oven roasted broccoli, or parsley potatoes.
Kale is a major superfood! These green leaves are packed with all the healthy ingredients you could ever want.
If you like healthy recipes, I’ve got you covered. Some of my favorites include: avocado chicken wraps, broccoli smoothie, açaí smoothie, Italian chicken, healthy chicken wraps, protein balls, and no-bake energy bites.
Lucky for us, this recipe is easy to make! It’s a matter of simply making the kale pesto (super easy BTW, just blend the ingredients together) and boiling pasta.
How to make Kale Pesto Pasta
- Make the Kale pesto. You’ll need about 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup of pesto. I have a blog post dedicated to all things kale pesto so make sure you check that out.
- Cook your choice of pasta until al dente. For a healthier option use whole wheat noodles.
- Stir the pesto into the cooked pasta. Add reserved pasta water as needed to moisten the noodles and create a smooth sauce. OR you can use a few teaspoons of olive oil.
- Serve immediately topped with freshly grated Parmesan and chopped pistachios.
Variations and Tips
To make this dish healthier use whole wheat pasta or zucchini noodles.
Add any variety of vegetables to this dish. You can toss in your favorite steamed vegetables such as broccoli, carrots, or even some finely chopped kale!
Add fresh lemon zest to the finished dish for added brightness and zing.
Related Pasta Recipes
- Bucatini Cacio e Pepe – an Italian classic, this simple dish has beautiful flavor.
- Instant Pot Philly cheesesteak Pasta – more of a “comfort food” this tastes just like a Philly cheesesteak sandwich!B
- Butternut Squash Ravioli – the filling is to-die-for! And making ravioli isn’t as daunting as you think, here’s my guide on how to make ravioli.
- Sesame Noodles Recipe – asian flavors really shine through in this dish! It’s easy to make, and we fight over the leftovers. Totally serious!
- Lemon Pasta Recipe – bright lemon flavor accompanies whole wheat noodles for an easy dinner. I suggest you serve this alongside oven roasted broccoli.
- Goat Cheese & Asparagus Spinach Pasta – healthy (ish), refreshing, and delicious!
Kale Pesto Pasta
- 2/3 cup kale pesto
- 8 oz pasta - any variety
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- freshly grated parmesan for topping
- chopped pistachios - for garnish
- Make the kale pesto by processing the kale pesto ingredients in a food processor.
- Cook pasta in salted water. Once al dente drain the water, making sure to reserve 1/2 cup of the pasta water.
- Place the pasta back in the pot and stir in the kale pesto. Slowly stir in some of the reserved pasta water, just enough to moisten the noodles and create a smooth sauce with the pesto. (Could also use a tablespoon or so of olive oil in leui of the pasta water).
- Divide the pasta amongst bowls, top with fresh parmesan and chopped pistachios. Serve immediately.