This post may include affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.
This Kale Pizza is topped with fresh arugula, goat cheese, and a balsamic glaze. If you want a healthy pizza that tastes GOOD, this Kale Pizza is exactly what you need!
Pizza base – the pizza dough
Every good pizza begins with a fool-proof, easy, and delicious pizza dough. I have just what you need. My homemade pizza dough recipe will start you on the right track to making any pizza!
Pro tip: to save time, buy the pizza dough from a grocery store. Personally, I’ve never purchased pizza dough, but I know others who have and they say it tastes good.
Ingredients needed for kale pizza with goat cheese
- Pizza dough
- Basil pesto – I used basil pesto for this recipe, but you can use a homemade arugula pesto or even a homemade kale pesto!
- Mozzarella cheese
- Fresh kale – chopped into bite size pieces.
- Goat cheese – one of my favorite cheeses.
- Arugula – this adds some great texture and flavor to the pizza. I also really love having fresh greens on my pizza, it’s so good!
- Balsamic glaze – you can purchase balsamic glaze at the grocery store, or you can make some yourself. I have a great blog post that walks you through making a balsamic reduction. The balsamic glaze rounds out the pizza. Add it, you won’t regret it!
Prep the kale
Remove the main stem from the kale and then chop the kale leaves into bite size pieces.
Place the chopped kale into a medium size bowl and add a half teaspoon of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
Using you hands, massage the kale until the leaves are slightly wilted and covered in the olive oil, about 2 minutes.
How to make a healthy kale pizza
Lightly flour a clean work surface and then roll out the pizza dough to your desired shape. I rolled the pizza dough very thin (we love thin crust pizza!) The pizza will be about 16-18″ inches in diameter. If it’s bigger or smaller, that’s fine too. We aren’t aiming for perfection here.
Place the pizza dough on a baking sheet that has been rubbed with olive oil.
Spread the pesto over top of the pizza dough. Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella cheese over the pesto and then top with the fresh kale.
Disperse the crumbled goat cheese over the kale. You can use more than the 2 ounces of goat cheese if you’d like!
Bake the pizza in a 450°F oven for 13-15 minutes. If you didn’t do a thin crust pizza, you’ll want to bake it for a few extra minutes to ensure the dough is cooked all the way through.
Pro Tip: Preheat the oven in advance! And make sure you use olive oil on the baking sheet otherwise the pizza will be majorly stuck! You can also bake this kale pizza on a pizza stone.
Remove the pizza from the oven, cut into pieces.
Top each slice of pizza with a handful of fresh arugula and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
This is the best pizza I’ve ever had! I hope you enjoy it too!
If you make this recipe or any other recipe on the blog please come back and leave a review. If you take a picture of your food creations tag #saltandbaker and share it on social media so that I can see what you made!
And don’t forget to SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER. You’ll receive new recipe posts, newsletters, and so much more!
- 14-16 ounces homemade pizza dough
- 1/3 cup basil pesto
- 1 1/2 cups mozzarella cheese shredded
- 2 cups kale chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 ounces goat cheese crumbled
- arugula for topping
- balsamic glaze
- Preheat the oven to 450°F. Spread a thin coat of olive oil on a baking sheet.
- Roll the pizza dough into a thin circle. (We love thin crust pizza, so we roll ours out fairly thin). Carefully transfer the pizza dough to the baking sheet.
- Spread the basil pesto into an even layer on top of the pizza dough.
- Sprinkle the shredded mozzarella over the pesto.
- In a medium sized bowl combine the kale, olive oil, and salt and pinch of black pepper. Using your hands, massage the kale until the leaves become droopy and soft, about 2 minutes.
- Spread the kale in an even layer over the mozzarella cheese.
- Disperse the crumbled goat cheese over the kale.
- Bake for 13-15 minutes or until the crust is golden in color and cooked through.
- Remove the pizza from the oven and top with fresh arugula and a drizzle of balsamic glaze. Enjoy!