Pizza Rolls Recipe
You guys, this Pizza Rolls recipe is incredible! To make these easy pizza rolls we take a simple batch of homemade pizza dough and stuff it with shredded mozzarella and lots of pepperoni. Then roll the filled pizza dough as if you were making homemade rolls. One secret to getting perfect pizza rolls (ones that taste like actual pizza) is by topping the rolls with an herbed butter and parmesan sauce.
Gah! They’re so so good! I forgot to mention, these rolls are baked to a beautiful golden brown color. To serve, have a
small large bowl of pizza sauce for dipping!
EVERYONE will love these!
I made this pizza rolls recipe for the first time a few months ago and ever since doing so, my son has been begging me to make them weekly. I have to remind him that eating full on carbs nonstop isn’t necessarily ideal. 😂
But then again, what’s life without delicious food? 🙂
How to make Pizza Rolls
You’ll need a full batch of my pizza dough recipe. Make the dough, let it go through the first round of rising until doubled in size.
Next, divide the dough. To make large pizza rolls, like I did, divide the dough into 20 dough balls. The balls will weigh about 1.75-2 oz each.
To make small pizza rolls, divide the dough into much smaller sized dough balls.
Next, roll out each portion of dough, place a heaping tablespoon (or more) of shredded mozzarella cheese in the center of the dough. Add a small handful of quartered pepperonis to the center of the dough as well.
Pro tip: it’s best to really pack the toppings in! The photo above doesn’t really illustrate how much you want to add. Add as much as you can without the toppings poking out.
Gather the ends and roll them up around the toppings, making sure to pinch the ends to make a ball.
Place the rolls on a greased jelly roll pan. If you opted to make larger pizza rolls, you’ll have 5 dough balls down, and 4 across.
Continue until all of the dough has been used up.
Cover the rolls and let rise for 1 hour or until puffy an almost doubled in size.
Herbed Butter Topping
This butter topping is the secret to getting a lot of the pizza flavor into these pizza rolls.
To make the topping, stir together the melted butter, dried oregano, dried basil, salt, and garlic powder.
Brush half of the herbed butter mixture over the proved pizza rolls.
Bake at 400°F for 20-24 minuets or until golden brown and cooked through.
While the rolls are baking add the grated parmesan (the parmesan from the can) to the remaining butter mixture.
Remove the rolls from the oven and brush the remaining butter + parmesan mixture overtop.
Serve the rolls with a side of pizza sauce!
This pizza rolls recipe can be served for dinner or as an appetizer for game day or parties!
If you love this pizza rolls recipe, try these:
- 1 batch homemade pizza dough
- 3 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup pepperonis - quartered
- pizza sauce - or marinara sauce for dipping
- 6 tablespoons butter - melted
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- pinch salt
- pinch garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese - from the green can
- Make the pizza dough, let the dough complete the first portion of rising time. Punch down the dough and then continue as follows...
- If making larger sized rolls (like pictured in the blog post) portion the dough into 20 equal sized balls, about 1 3/4 -2 oz each.
- Gently roll out each portion of dough, place a heaping tablespoon of mozzarella in the center of the dough. Top with a small handful of pepperonis. Gather the ends of the roll and roll them up around the toppings, making sure to pinch the ends to make a ball. Repeat this process until all of the dough balls have been filled and rolled into balls.
- Place the filled rolls on a greased jelly roll baking sheet.
- Cover the rolls with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour or until puffy and almost doubled in size. While the rolls are rising prepare the butter topping.
- In a medium bowl stir together the butter, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and salt. Brush half of the mixture over the filled dough balls.
- Bake the rolls at 400° F for 20-24 minutes or until golden brown.
- To the remaining butter topping, add the 2 tablespoons of parmesan cheese. Stir to combine.
- When rolls have finished baking remove them from the oven and brush the parmesan butter mixture overtop.
- Serve the pizza rolls with pizza sauce for dipping.