English Muffin Pizzas
English muffin pizzas are a fast and simple recipe that takes less than 30 minutes to make. Everyone, especially the kids, will have fun making and eating these creative mini pizzas.
Why This Recipe Works
Easy and Delicious
Making English muffin pizzas is both easy and fun. Thanks to the chewy soft and flavorful English muffins as the pizza base we don’t have to worry about yeast doughs, rolling, proofing, or any other crazy steps. It’s as simple as slicing the English muffin in half and topping it with sauce.
Customizable and Kids Can Help
Experiment with different toppings and topping combos when making this recipe.
Make it as healthy as you want, as extravagant, or as basic and it still tastes great every time.
When we make hand-held pizzas in our home each child is in charge of placing their own toppings. They think it’s fun to be involved and guess what, they’ll eat their dinner better because they helped make it!
If you’re making these mini pizzas for kids (or for the kid inside you) around the holidays, I’ll bet you’d be happy to note that with just a simple topping adjustment on the top of these muffins, you can easily turn them into Halloween Mummy pizzas! Just add olive eyes and strategically place the cheese to look like bandages and you’re all set.
Or for Valentine’s Day cut regular sized pepperonis in the shape of hearts.
This recipe works any time of the year and can be prepped or made in advance keeping it a perfect lunch option (or snack).
- English muffins: You can use regular or whole English muffins, sourdough works great too as well as other varieties. Honestly, just choose the one you think sounds best and you can’t go wrong. You can even use homemade English muffins if you have those on hand!
- Pizza sauce: Use your favorite homemade or storebought pizza marinara sauce. We personally love my pizza sauce with tomato paste recipe.
- English muffin toppings: You’ll want a good melting cheese like shredded mozzarella, but you can also use any of your favorite pizza toppings including mini pepperonis, mushrooms, bell peppers, etc. Check out the recipe card for more suggestions.
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place your English muffins on the baking sheet, cut side facing up.
- Drizzle ½ teaspoon’s worth of olive oil over the top of each slice. Roast in the oven for 5 minutes or until slightly crisp. Remove from oven.
- Add toppings. Spoon about 2 tablespoons worth of pizza sauce over the top of each half and use the back of a spoon to level it out. Sprinkle the top with mozzarella cheese and add any other desired pizza toppings and seasonings.
- Bake in the oven for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges look slightly browned.
- Remove from oven. Top with fresh basil if desired and serve immediately.
How to make English muffin pizzas not soggy: By pre-baking the English muffins, we get a crisped top that’s less likely to soak in a ton of sauce, making the pizzas not soggy in the process. It’s a simple and easy trick that works well.
You can also place larger sized pepperonis directly on the English muffins and then spoon the sauce over the pepperonis. This is a trick I use when making French Bread pizza, and it prevents any kind of sogginess!
Refrigerate: store topping side up in airtight container for 1 week. To reheat, place in oven at 375 for 10 minutes or until heated and warmed, or microwave on high for 1 minute until warmed and cheese is melted.
Freeze: Bake as directed. Remove from oven and let cool. Place the English muffins (topping side up) on a baking sheet and flash freeze for 1-2 hours. Remove from the freezer and transfer to a freezer-safe container.
Reheating: To reheat preheat oven to 375. Place frozen English muffin pizzas on baking sheet and bake for 15 minutes. You can also use the microwave and heat until warm.
Yes, to freeze your mini pizzas, simply make and bake as directed. Then place the English muffins on a baking sheet to cool completely. Place in the freezer for 1-2 hours until frozen solid and then transfer to an airtight container. Reheat frozen English muffin pizzas by baking at 375 degrees F for 15 minutes.
Yes, you could make them in the microwave but the texture will be a bit softer and less crisp. You can run the English muffins through a toaster to help with the initial crisping, then top with sauce and cheese as directed and microwave for 30 seconds-1 minute or until cheese is melted.
More Easy Recipes
Did you make this recipe? I’d love to hear about it! Click here to leave a rating and review.
English Muffin Pizzas
- 4 English muffins - cut in half
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup pizza sauce - prepared (use a sauce you like!)
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese - shredded
- mini pepperonis
- sliced mushrooms
- sliced olives
- sauteed spinach
- fresh basil - chopped
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Place the English muffins on the baking sheet cut side up. Drizzle ½-1 teaspoon or so of olive oil over each slice. Roast in the oven for 5 minute or until slightly crisp. Remove from the oven.
- Spoon about 2 tablespoons of pizza sauce over each English muffin half. Use the back of the spoon to level the sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella cheese overtop. Add your desired toppings. Then add a pinch of salt and pepper and Italian seasoning.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes or until the cheese is melted and the edges are slightly browned.
- Remove from the oven and top with fresh basil if desired. Serve immediately.