Looking for a way to boost your milk supply? This lactation smoothie recipe is the perfect thing for you! Made with oats, Brewer’s yeast and flaxseed to help increase breast milk supply and flow, this lactation smoothie is delicious and helpful for you and baby.
Why This Recipe Works
- This recipe has a great balance of flavor and nutritional ingredients — both very important in your diet as you are breastfeeding.
- This recipe calls for easy ingredients and can be blended up in no time at all! (If you don’t have Brewer’s yeast on hand, you can just omit it.)
- There aren’t any funky flavors or ingredients in this lactation smoothie like in other recipes I’ve seen.
- Almond Milk: Our healthy diary and liquid ingredient for the smoothie.
- Almond Butter: This provides additional protein to the smoothie.
- Banana: A fruit that can help in breast milk production.
- Honey: Adds flavor and sweetness to the smoothie.
- Ground Flaxseed: Flaxseed is another ingredient that can help increase milk supply.
- Oats: Grains are important in a balanced diet, which is key in helping breast milk supply.
- Brewer’s Yeast: Brewer’s yeast is bitter, so that’s why we add honey to the smoothie. Brewer’s yeast is thought to increase breast milk supply, however, there don’t seem to be any clinical studies on it to scientifically prove it. Talk to your doctor before adding Brewer’s yeast to your diet since some medications you may be on don’t interact well with it.
- Cinnamon: This gives added flavor to the smoothie and helps mask some of the bitter from the Brewer’s yeast.
- Add all the ingredients into a blender.
- Blend until smooth.
- Pour into a glass. Makes 1 smoothie serving.
Brewer’s yeast is thought to increase breast milk supply, however, there don’t seem to be any clinical studies on it to scientifically prove it. Talk to your doctor before adding Brewer’s yeast to your diet since some medications you may be on don’t interact well with it.
Don’t have Brewer’s yeast? That’s OK. Just omit it.
Milk: You can use other forms of milk instead of almond milk. I like using almond milk because it has fewer calories and pairs well with the almond butter. But you can use regular cow’s milk, oat milk, soy milk, etc.
Honey: You can add just 1 tablespoon of honey but the smoothie isn’t as sweet and you’ll be able to taste a more pronounced “brewers yeast flavor.”
Banana: If the banana is smaller, add 1.5-2 bananas to your blender. Also using a very ripe banana will help give it a great banana flavor to your smoothie.
I’m not sure there’s a specific amount to hit, but a couple times per week or once per day will help you get those important ingredients that boost milk supply into your diet.
Boosting your breast milk supply starts with a good balanced diet. That’s what smoothies can be a great source for increasing your breast milk supply because you can add grains, dairy, vegetables and fruit.
All fruits are good to have in your diet! However, some fruits are better than others to increase your breast milk flow. These include papaya, blueberries, oranges, strawberries and bananas.
Yes! That’s why we add flaxseed to this lactation smoothie.
Brewer’s yeast is considered to be a galactagogue, or something that encourages lactation. When it comes to Brewer’s yeast though, it’s important to keep to very small doses — a few teaspoons or a tablespoon a day is plenty, with no more than 3 tablespoons a day. You can read more about Brewer’s yeast at Healthline.com.
There isn’t really a great substitution for Brewer’s yeast, so you can just leave it out. It’s not really there for flavor or texture (since the flavor of the ingredient it bitter). It’s main purpose is to increase breast milk supply.
More Delicious Smoothie Recipes
- 1/3 cup old fashioned oats
- 1 large banana - frozen
- 3/4 cup almond milk
- 1 tablespoon almond butter
- 1 tablespoon brewers yeast
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseed
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup ice cubes
- To a high powered blender add: old fashioned oats, banana, almond milk, almond butter, brewers yeast, honey, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, and ice cubes.
- Blend until smooth.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!