Start your day (and year) off in the perfect way with this Açaí Smoothie that is packed with açaí juice, spinach, berries, carrots, banana and chia seeds. Each of these ingredients are brimming with amazing health benefits.
My kids love having smoothies in the morning! It’s a great way to make breakfasts special — plus a great way to pack in those nutritious ingredients for your kids (and you!) to enjoy! My Pineapple Spinach Smoothie, Banana Peach Smoothie and Strawberry Pineapple Smoothie are some of my very favorites!
Why This Recipe Works
- Healthy breakfast. When I start my morning off with with healthy recipes rather than cold cereal, I always have more energy. I feel good because I put healthy ingredients in my body! And this açaí smoothie recipe is packed with healthy ingredients.
- Perfectly sweet and tart. The hint of honey balances out the tartness of the açaí juice. It’s the perfect balance!
- Simple ingredients. This blueberry acai smoothie recipe uses just a handful of ingredients.
- Açaí Juice: This stuff is good! Acai juice (and by default, açaí berries) are rich in antioxidants. Plus it really elevates the flavor of this spinach açaí smoothie. You can find the juice as health food stores or sometimes at your local grocery store (depending on the store).
- Spinach: You can also use kale if you don’t have spinach on hand. Spinach is a popular vegetable to use when making any kind of smoothie, it’s loaded with vitamins and antioxidants. This vegetable helps fight off osteoporosis, heart disease, arthritis and several types of cancers. So yeah, spinach is good!
- Blueberries: Or use any kind of frozen berries. Blueberries are considered a “superfood.” They are an anti-inflammatory (soooo good for the body!) and packed with antioxidants.
- Carrots: Use baby carrots or a long stem carrot, whichever you have on hand. You’re probably thinking “carrots?!” but carrots have a natural sweetness that make them great for smoothies!
- Banana: A great source of potassium. Potassium helps manage heart health, it helps with blood pressure and helps your muscles work better, which is a big deal. 💪🏼
- Add ingredients to a blender. Add 1 1/2 cups fresh spinach, 1 cup açaí juice, 1 cup of blueberries, 1/2 frozen banana, 4-5 baby carrots, 1 tsp honey and 1 tsp chia seeds to a high-speed blender. Blend until smooth. Pour the acai berry smoothie into a glass and enjoy!
Use frozen fruit to achieve cold smoothies. If you don’t use any frozen ingredients in the smoothie add a few ice cubes to make it cold and thick.
You can also use mixed berries instead of use blueberries — any berry works! Just pick your favorite fruit.
Adding the honey is optional, but it does help reduce the tartness of the smoothie.
You can use flaxseed or hemp hearts if you prefer over chia seeds (or in addition to) or eliminate it altogether.
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
While you can make smoothies ahead of time and freeze them, I recommend making this açaí spinach smoothie right before enjoying it!
Store leftovers in the freezer. Thaw enough to return to the blender to blend to smoothie consistency again. You may want to add additional liquid to help it blend.
It’s native to Brazil.
Yes. Any juice variety will work. Pomegranate juice or a vegetable packed juice would be delicious. Also, if using acai powder, you’ll need liquid in the smoothie —add water, a different kind of juice, coconut milk, etc.
Substitute for another green superfood such as kale.
Of course! Look for another healthy food item such as almonds, hemp seeds, or flax seed.
Yes. I would opt for a vanilla protein powder.
Yes you can! Simply pour the smoothie into a bowl and top with your favorite toppings such as fresh fruit, granola, added flax seeds, and toasted coconut for delicious acai bowls!
More Smoothie Recipes
- 1 1/4 -1 1/2 cups fresh spinach
- 1 cup açaí juice
- 1 cup frozen blueberries
- 1/2 frozen banana
- 1/2 large carrot, or 4-5 baby carrots
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp chia seeds (optional)
- To a high powered blender add the spinach, açaí juice, blueberries, banana, carrot(s), and honey.
- Blend until smooth. Serve immediately.
This post was first published January 9, 2018 and was updated April 10, 2020.