Libby’s Pumpkin Roll
Embrace the warm flavors of fall with this Libby’s Pumpkin Roll! A moist, spiced pumpkin cake filled with a luscious cream cheese filling, rolled into perfection — it’s the perfect treat for autumn gatherings.
Make sure to stock up on your favorite Libby’s pumpkin puree for some favorite pumpkin recipes this fall season! From Pumpkin Pecan Coffee Cake to Crustless Pumpkin Pie and Pumpkin Pecan Pancakes to my favorite Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread!
Why This Recipe Works
- Moist pumpkin cake. This Libby’s Pumpkin Roll is nicely moist and has the most amazing flavor.
- Pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling. The heavenly cream cheese filling in this recipe strikes the perfect balance between sweet and tangy, complementing the pumpkin cake’s richness to perfection.
- Easy-to-follow instructions. With our step-by-step instructions, even novice bakers can create a the perfect pumpkin roll that is sure to be an impressive dessert. No need to be intimidated – we’ve got you covered!
- Make-ahead convenience. Prepare this Libby’s pumpkin roll recipe ahead of time to streamline your holiday or special occasion preparations. Plus, it freezes wonderfully, offering a delicious treat whenever you desire.
- Powdered Sugar: The powdered sugar is used to make the cream cheese frosting, but we also use it when we roll the cake up. Sprinkling a towel with powdered sugar will keep the towel from sticking to the cake, and provides a pretty and sweet exterior to the cake.
- Flour: All-purpose flour is what you’ll need.
- Spices: The combination of ground cinnamon and ground cloves provides the perfect hint of spices without overpowering the cake.
- Eggs: We beat the eggs and sugar together until well mixed. This will help the wet ingredients incorporate better and provide a fluffy pumpkin cake.
- Libby’s Pumpkin Puree: This is my favorite pure pumpkin puree! It’s makes the most amazing classic pumpkin roll recipe.
- Cream Cheese: The cream cheese should be at a full room temperature to make sure things mix well.
- Prepare the pan. Preheat oven to 375ºF. Spray a 15×10-inch jelly roll pan with nonstick spray that contains four. Line the bottom of the pan with a piece of parchment paper and spray that.
- Combine dry ingredients. To a medium bowl, 3/4 cup all-purpose flour, 1/2 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp baking soda, 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/2 tsp ground cloves and 1/4 tsp salt. Whisk to combine.
- Combine wet ingredients. To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, add 3 large eggs and 1 cup granulated sugar. Beat eggs and sugar on medium speed for 2-3 minutes until thick. Add 2/3 cup libby’s pumpkin puree and mix for 30 seconds, scraping down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula.
- Add dry ingredients. Add the dry mixture to the wet mixture and mix until just combined.
- Pour batter into prepared pan. Pour the libby’s pumpkin roll batter into the prepared ban. Using an offset spatula, spread into an even layer.
- Bake the pumpkin roll cake. Bake the libby’s pumpkin roll for 13-15 minutes or until the cake springs back when lightly touched.
- Turn out the cake. Sprinkle a thin kitchen towel with 1/3 cup powdered sugar. Loosen the cake from the pan and turn the cake out onto the powdered sugar towel. Peel off the piece of parchment paper from the bottom of the cake and roll the cake up WITH the towel, starting on the narrow end. Let the cake cool completely while rolled up.
- Make the cream cheese filling. In a medium bowl, beat cream cheese, 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, 6 tablespoons butter and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Mix until smooth.
- Fill pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling. Unroll the Libby’s pumpkin roll and spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake. Reroll cake without the towel. Wrap in plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for 1 hour. Remove, slice, and serve. Enjoy!
Ensure your cream cheese, butter, and eggs are at room temperature for best results.
When rolling the pumpkin cake, use a kitchen towel dusted with powdered sugar to prevent sticking. Roll it gently and evenly for a beautiful spiral.
You can try using wax paper sprinkled with powdered sugar when rolling the cake, but my personal preference is to use a thin kitchen towel.
Roll the warm cake to reduce cracking. If you try rolling a cooled cake, you’ll definitely get cracks!
Allow the assembled pumpkin roll to chill in the fridge for at least one hour. This step helps the cream cheese filling set and makes slicing easier.
Don’t forget to line the pan with parchment paper before baking. This will make it easier to release the cake later.
Libby’s pumpkin roll with cream cheese filling is a great recipe to make when you need to take dessert on the go for a holiday party. All you have to do is chill the roll and bring the entire thing! Slice on site and serve!
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
Make-Ahead Directions: You can prepare the Libby’s Pumpkin Roll in advance and store it in the refrigerator for up to 2-3 days. To keep it fresh, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap or aluminum foil.
Storing Instructions: Store any leftover pumpkin roll in an airtight container in the refrigerator. It will stay fresh for 2-3 days.
Freezing Instructions: To freeze the Libby’s Pumpkin Roll, wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and place it in a freezer-safe container or resealable plastic bag. It can be frozen for up to 2-3 months. When ready to enjoy, thaw it in the refrigerator overnight.
Yes, you can use freshly pureed pumpkin. Make sure it’s well-drained and not too watery to maintain the cake’s texture.
Rolling the cake with the kitchen towel while it’s still warm helps prevent cracks. Be gentle but firm, and use the towel to guide the roll.
You really need a 15×10-inch pan for this recipe. If you use a larger pan (like a regular cookie sheet), the cake will be thinner and more easily prone to cracking.
More Pumpkin Desserts
- Biscoff Pumpkin Pie
- Pumpkin Bars
- Crumbl Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake
- Pumpkin Layer Cake
Libby’s Pumpkin Roll
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar - to sprinkle on towel
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2/3 cup Libby's pumpkin puree
- Preheat the oven to 375°F. Spray a 15×10 inch jelly roll pan with nonstick cooking spray that contains flour. Line the bottom of the pan with parchment paper and spray again. Sprinkle a thin kitchen towel with 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- In a medium sized bowl whisk the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment beat the eggs and granulated sugar on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until thick. Add the pumpkin and mix for another 30 seconds. Scrape down the sides of a bowl with a rubber spatula. Add the flour mixture and mix to combine, don’t overmix. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until the top of the cake springs back when touched.
- After removing from the oven immediately loosen and turn the cake out onto the powdered sugar dusted towel. Peel off the parchment paper and roll up the cake and the towel together starting with the narrow end. Let cool completely.
- In a medium bowl beat the cream cheese, 1 ½ cup of powdered sugar, vanilla and butter until smooth.
- Unroll the cake and spread the cream cheese mixture over the cake. Reroll the cake, without the towel. Wrap the pumpkin roll in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Remove from the fridge, slice and serve.