Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
This Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread is soft, moist, and perfectly tender! Each bite is accompanied by melty chocolate chips and the perfect warm spices and pumpkin flavor that keep you coming back for more!
I love all things pumpkin chocolate chip. I think it’s a match made in heaven and pumpkin season is one of my all time favorite seasons (next to football season)! One of my favorites is my Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies. It’s practically the cookie version of this chocolate chip pumpkin bread recipe! These Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake and Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pancakes recipes are more delicious pumpkin and chocolate chip recipes you will have to try!
Why This Recipe Works
- Delicious chocolate chip bread! This pumpkin bread with chocolate chips is so amazing because each bite is accompanied with melty chocolate chips!
- Better than store bought. Growing up, we would always buy the Great Harvest pumpkin chocolate chip bread. But this homemade pumpkin bread recipe is by far the best pumpkin bread! It results in a much more moist and fresh bread!
- Best pumpkin chocolate chip bread! You will love this bread recipe because it is moist, packed with pumpkin and fall spices, and is soft and delicious!
- Flour: You can just use all purpose flour. No need for special bread flour!
- Baking Soda: This is the alternate leavening agent we’re using instead of yeast, which is what makes this a quick bread recipe.
- Ground Cinnamon: I love adding cinnamon in addition to the pumpkin pie spice. The cinnamon and chocolate chip combination is so delicious!
- Pumpkin Pie Spice: This provides the perfect mixture of spices for your pumpkin chocolate chip bread!
- Pumpkin Puree: I use a heaping cup of pumpkin puree. I just love the flavor. The pumpkin puree also helps give added moisture to the bread, creating a soft and tender crumb. Be sure to use pure pumpkin puree and not pumpkin pie filling (which has extra sugar and extra spices this recipe doesn’t account for).
- Vegetable Oil: The oil makes for a light and moist pumpkin chocolate chip bread!
- Milk: The milk will provide extra moisture for the pumpkin chocolate chip bread recipe while helping aid in the moist texture.
- Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips: I love semi-sweet chocolate chips! This is my default. However, if you love milk over semi-sweet, you can substitute for the milk chocolate chips.
- Whisk the dry ingredients. Add the 1 1/2 cups flour, baking soda, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon and salt to a large mixing bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Combine the wet ingredients. Add the eggs, white sugar, and brown sugar to a medium bowl and whisk until combined. Add in the pumpkin puree, the oil, vanilla extract, and the milk. Whisk until well combined.
- Combine ingredients. Add the pumpkin mixture to the flour mixture. Stir with a rubber spatula until slightly under combined.
- Coat the chocolate chips. Add the remaining 1/4 cup flour and chocolate chips to a small bowl and stir until coated. Add to the pumpkin bread batter and stir until just combined.
- Bake. Pour batter into a 9×5-inch loaf pan that has been sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Top with mini chocolate chips if desired. Bake at 350°F for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick in the center comes out clean. Remove and let cool in the pan on a wire rack. Slice and serve!
Toss the chocolate chips until they are covered in the flour. Doing this prevents the chocolate chips from sinking to the bottom.
Don’t over mix! Over mixing will hurt your quick bread’s chance at obtaining a good rise.
Like pancake batter, lumps of flour in quick breads are not a bad thing.
If you notice the top is browning too quickly, simply cover the loaf pan with foil. (I covered mine with foil around the 30 minute mark).
A crack on the top of the bread is considered a good sign! Don’t fret if you see this on your pumpkin chocolate chip bread. It’s characteristic of a good loaf 🙂
I use Bakers Joy cooking spray..
This pumpkin chocolate chip bread recipe was baked at a high altitude. I suggest you begin checking the bread around the 58 minute mark, just to make sure you don’t over bake it! (Mine took about 68 minutes at high altitude).
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
Store at room temperature, covered or in an airtight container, for about 3-4 days or in the fridge for up to 7 days.
This pumpkin bread with chocolate chips can be frozen! Just wrap it in tin foil, place in a zip top bag and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to thaw, remove from the freezer and place in refrigerator overnight, then bring it to room temperature.
Begin checking for doneness around the 55-minute mark. The bread is done when a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs. The bread will bake a tad more while sitting in the pan for a few minutes after baking.
Simply cover the loaf pan with foil. (I covered mine with foil around the 50-minute mark). This will help it so the top won’t get too brown while the rest of the bread continues baking.
A crack on the top of quick breads is considered a good sign! Don’t fret if you see this on your pumpkin chocolate chip bread. It’s characteristic of a good loaf 🙂 This is the result of a moist batter setting in the oven.
Yes! To freeze the bread, let it cool completely. Once the bread is completely cooled, double wrap it in plastic wrap. Then, if you are planning on keeping it in the freezer for longer than a week, wrap the plastic wrap-covered bread in tin foil and then place in a zip top bag. As a general guideline, quick breads can be frozen for up to 3 months.
Quick breads are breads that use a different leavening agent than yeast — baking powder and baking soda are examples of alternative leavening agents other than yeast. One of my favorite things is chocolate chips in quick breads.
More Delicious Pumpkin Recipes
- Mini No-Bake Pumpkin Cheesecakes
- Moist Pumpkin Cake
- Pumpkin Coffee Cake
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Pumpkin Bars
- Pumpkin Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Praline Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour - divided
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4-1 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups pumpkin puree
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips - plus more for sprinkling on top of the loaf!
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Place oven rack to the middle/lower third of the oven. Spray a 9×5 bread pan with nonstick spray.* Set aside.
- In a large bowl whisk 1 ½ cups flour, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt together. Set aside.
- In medium bowl whisk the eggs, sugar, and brown sugar until combined. Add the pumpkin, oil, vanilla, and milk. Whisk until all ingredients are combined.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients. Stir using a rubber spatula.
- In small bowl add the remaining ¼ cup flour. Toss in the chocolate chips so that they are covered in the flour.
- Add the chocolate chips to the bread batter and stir to combine. Don’t overmix.
- Place the batter in the loaf pan. I like to sprinkle a few extra chocolate chips on top of the batter once in the pan. Bake for 65-75 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. (Mine took about 68 minutes).** Also, if you feel like the top is browning excessively, you can cover the loaf with tin foil to prevent more browning from occurring.
- Remove from oven and let cool in the pan on a wire rack.
- This bread can be frozen! Just wrap it in tin foil, place in a zip top bag and freeze for up to 3 months. When ready to thaw, remove from the freezer and place in refrigerator overnight, then bring it to room temperature.
14 Comments on “Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Bread”
Turns out perfect every time!
This quick bread is so delicious! It’s dense but super moist and chocolatey spicy deliciousness. Baked for about 70 minutes and it was perfect.
I’m baking another one to take as a hostess gift. Thanks for the recipe!
It took me exactly 68 minutes!!!
It’s delicious!! Love it
This bread was fabulous! Sharing this recipe!
Forgot to mention- I used mini chocolate chips and added 1 TB unsweetened cocoa powder. Delicious!
what can be insted of the teaspoon pumpkin pie spice? in my country this spice is not selled.
you can substitute 3/4 tsp ground cinnamon, 1/4 tsp ground ginger, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, and 1/4 tsp allspice.
Is anyone else having trouble with the print button? It just jumps back to the top of the post for me. Can’t wait to try this recipe!
Best pumpkin chocolate chip bread ever! Thank you for sharing!
Best pumpkin chocolate chip bread ever! Thank you for sharing!
This is seriously the greatest pumpkin bread of all time! And super easy to make. We tried with mini chocolate chips and preferred that. Also we like using 2-3 smaller pans instead of one big one so we can throw some in the freezer to enjoy later.
Wow so delicious and so moist! The whole family was loving it!
Thank you for the recipe! I lowered the sugar a bit and baked it for my friends and it was gone before I could blink! They keep harassing me to make it for them again! Definitely a keeper.
The bread disappears in minutes huh!! I’m so glad you and your friends loved the recipe. Thanks for coming back to tell me!! ?