Mild Taco Seasoning
This Mild Taco Seasoning is super easy to make and has a perfect a balance of spices. The seasoning blend includes chili powder, cumin, salt and garlic powder — plus much more! It’s the best homemade mild taco seasoning recipe!
Why This Recipe Works
- Easy homemade seasoning. I’m sure you’ve been in this same position before where you are making dinner and your realize you don’t have any seasoning packets you need! This homemade taco seasoning is the perfect recipe when you’re in a pinch!
- Make taco seasoning in bulk. Multiply this recipe in order to make a bunch of taco seasoning in bulk so you have plenty ready to go whenever it’s time to make dinner.
- Perfect balance of spices. This recipe has the perfect balance of spices. Thanks to the chili powder, cumin and oregano, there is a variety of flavors that blend together to get that delicious taco flavor we all love! The cornstarch also is an important ingredient as it helps the seasoning adhere to whatever you are cooking.
- Chili Powder: Chili powder isn’t spicy, it has more of a sweet flavor complex.
- Cumin: This is probably the spice that comes off the strongest if you were to smell the cumin and then smell the taco seasoning — it’s probably the easiest to pick out.
- Salt: Adding salt helps enhance the taco flavoring.
- Cornstarch: This is a typical ingredient in seasoning packets because it helps the seasonings stick to whatever it is that is cooking.
- Paprika: This adds a smoky-like flavor to the seasoning.
- Oregano: This seasoning always seems to surprise people since it is largely associated with Italian cuisine. However, the oregano has a very complementary flavor that is an important element to homemade taco seasoning.
- Crushed Red Pepper Flakes: Optional. This is a mild taco seasoning recipe and the crushed red pepper flakes is what will make it spicy. If you want a medium taco seasoning recipe or a hot taco seasoning recipe, add crushed red pepper flakes. 1/8 tsp will give it more of a mild-to-medium spice — add more to go spicier.
- Combine the ingredients. Add the chili powder, cumin, salt, cornstarch, pepper, onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes (if using) to a bowl. Stir to combine.
If you want a spicier mixture, add crushed red pepper flakes (this is what brings the heat).
Feel free to use any brand of spices for this recipe.
For browning meat, add 3 tablespoons of seasoning per pound of meat and 1/2 cup of water.
There are 2 tablespoons in 1 taco seasoning packet.
This recipe makes 3.5 tablespoons of seasoning. If you want to make a lot and store some for later, simply multiply the amount in the recipe card by clicking the 2x or 3x option.
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
Store in an airtight container at room temperature until ready to use.
Do not freeze seasonings or spices. Since the process of freezing and thawing can produce condensation, the spices can get wet and cause the flavor to change and mold to grow if you don’t use the thawed spices right away. For this reason, I don’t recommend freezing the seasoning.
The seasoning will last for a long time at room temperature in an airtight container so freezing is unnecessary.
About 2 tablespoons of seasoning per packet. This recipe makes 3.5 tablespoons so you have some extra for another meal.
I don’t recommend freezing seasoning blends or spices in general. Freezing and thawing can cause condensation unless you are freezing an unopened or vacuum-sealed package of spices. The condensation can cause the spices to lose their potency and can encourage the risk for mold.
This is a mild taco seasoning recipe. The crushed red pepper flakes listed in the recipe are optional. Adding this ingredient would increase the spice level. For a spicier mixture, add the crushed red pepper flakes and up it to reach your desired spicy-ness.
Homemade Mild Taco Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes - optional, can also add more if you want it spicy. 1/8 tsp will give it an edge to being mild/medium.
- Add chili powder, cumin, salt, cornstarch, pepper, onion powder, paprika, garlic powder, oregano, and crushed red pepper flakes to a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Store in an airtight container until ready to use.