Taco Turkey Burgers
These Taco Turkey Burgers combine the juicy summer favorite of turkey burgers with the fan-favorite of Taco Tuesday in this yummy taco turkey burger recipe!
I’m all for an excuse to eat a burger, and these turkey burgers are a fun twist! It’s a great healthy burger recipe that everyone will enjoy! You can enjoy these burgers with sour cream and salsa or the classic ketchup and mustard. It’s one of my family’s favorite healthy recipes. For more delicious and easy taco recipes, try my Walking Taco Casserole and Doritos Taco Salad!
Why This Recipe Works
- Healthy hamburger. Using ground turkey instead of ground beef is a great way to turn burgers a little more on the healthy side! Add the black beans (high in protein and fiber) and some fresh salsa and this healthy turkey burger recipe will be one you’ll come back to again and again!
- Combine two favorites in one! You’ll love this recipe because it has the delicious flavor of tacos combined with the juicy burger! It’s a fun way to mix up Taco Tuesdays or spice up your family barbecue with these taco turkey burgers!
- Don’t need a grill. You don’t need a grill to make these burgers! Could you grill them, yes you can, but these cook up great on a frying pan or sauté pan.
- Ground Turkey: Using ground turkey is a great way to make these into healthy hamburgers! You could also switch out the ground turkey for ground beef or ground chicken if desired.
- Taco Seasoning: This is a great way to season the taco burgers so it tastes just like tacos! Use mild or medium depending on your spice preference. I have an easy and delicious homemade taco seasoning recipe you can use too!
- Black Beans: Adding black beans to the turkey burger recipe also adds a bit more taco flavor and texture to the taco burgers. Plus, it’s a great added color and added nutritional value!
- Cilantro: The fresh cilantro is the perfect addition! I promise you’ll want to use fresh cilantro. It adds such a great salsa-like flavor to these taco burger patties.
- Combine the turkey taco burger ingredients. Add the ground turkey, black beans, bell pepper, onion, taco seasoning and cilantro to a large bowl. Mix until combined.
- Form into 6 patties. Get your hands wet with water to help keep the meat from sticking to your hands. Make them slightly larger than the hamburger buns (the patties will shrink as they cook).
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, then the patties. Cook 4-5 minutes per side or until the internal temperature of the patties reach 165°F. Once the patties are almost done cooking, place a slice of cheese on each turkey patty (if desired) so the cheese melts.
- Assemble the turkey taco burgers. Remove from the skillet and place on a hamburger bun. Add your desired toppings. Our favorites are lettuce, tomato, sour cream and salsa, or ketchup and mustard.
- Enjoy immediately.
Feel free to switch out the black beans for pinto or cannellini beans based off preference.
Up the spice with a bit of diced jalapeño in the mixture.
Don’t have any buns? No problem! This recipe tastes just as yummy using tortillas instead of buns!
Great cheese options are Monterey jack, Colby jack, pepper jack, cheddar, etc.
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
To make taco turkey burgers ahead of time, make the patties and store covered in an airtight container in the fridge for 12-24 hours. Remove and cook as directed.
Store cooked patties in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-4 days. To reheat, place on a baking tray and warm in the oven at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes or until warmed through.
To freeze uncooked homemade burger patties, store in an airtight container with parchment paper in between each patty for up to 1 month. Remove from the freezer and let thaw in the fridge overnight. Follow the same directions for freezing cooked patties.
While both meats are high in protein, turkey is lower in saturated fats than regular hamburgers. Saturated fat is one of the unhealthy fats. A diet that is high in saturated fats is known to contribute to heart disease. Swapping out ground beef for ground turkey is a great way to lower the amount of saturated fat in your diet!
Yes, you can. It will bring in a little bit of the cilantro flavor. However, using fresh cilantro will make the cilantro flavor much punchier.
Definitely! You can use pinto beans or cannellini beans if that’s what you have on hand. I prefer black beans for their flavor and color, but you can use what you like!
Nope! Just add all the ingredients together to form the patty and cook that. The vegetables in the patty will cook with the meat. Removing the step of pre-cooking the vegetables makes this recipe come together so quickly!
Be sure to firmly press the patty mixture together in the patties. Also, make sure the first side of the turkey burger patty is cooked before flipping it. That will ensure that the underside of the patty is more cohesive for when you flip it. Adding an egg to the mixture can also help if you are finding your mixture isn’t holding together very well.
More Healthy Recipes
Taco Turkey Burgers
- 16 oz ground turkey
- 15 oz black beans - drained and rinsed
- 1/2 bell peppers - finely diced
- 2 tablespoons onion - finely diced
- 1 oz packet taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons cilantro - chopped
- 2 tablespoons oil - olive oil, vegetable oil, canola oil
- 6 hamburger buns - for serving
- sour cream
- sliced jalapeños - if you want it spicier
- In a large bowl add the ground turkey, black beans, bell pepper, onion, taco seasoning and cilantro. Mix until combined. Form into 6 patties (dampen your hands with water as this helps keep the meat from sticking to your hands), making them slightly larger than the hamburger buns (the patties will shrink as they cook).
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add the oil, then the patties. Cook 4-5 minutes per side or until the internal temperature reaches 165°F. Once the patties are almost done cooking place a slice of cheese on each turkey patty (if desired) so that the cheese melts.
- Remove from the skillet and place on a hamburger bun. Add your desired toppings, our favorites are lettuce, tomato, sour cream and salsa, or ketchup and mustard.
- Enjoy immediately.