Moist Banana Bread Recipe
This Moist Banana Bread Recipe is sweet – but not too sweet – and full of delicious banana flavor! This bread is so soft and tender, it’s easily the BEST banana bread recipe ever! You can add some chopped walnuts or chocolate chips (check out my chocolate chip banana bread recipe), or enjoy it plain.
It’s safe to say I’m probably not the only person who has left over bananas on their kitchen table. Bananas are a staple in our home and we love to make delicious foods with those bananas!
Ripe Bananas for Banana Bread
This recipe calls for 2 cups of mashed bananas, this comes to about 4 to 5 medium bananas.
To achieve really delicious banana flavor in banana bread use overly ripe bananas.
To mash the bananas you can use a fork, like pictured below, a pastry blender, or you can place the bananas in the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment and mix the bananas until really smooth.
Pro tip: As you can see, I left a few small banana chunks in my “mashed banana” mixture. This resulted in tiny banana pieces throughout the banana bread (which made it sooooo yummy!) If you don’t want that, just make sure you mash the bananas until smooth.
Ingredients needed for Banana Bread
- Flour – this adds structure to the banana bread
- Baking soda – a leavening agent that adds lift when it comes in contact with a liquid and an acid (the acid we use is sour cream).
- Baking powder – a leavening agent that adds lift when in contact with moisture.
- Salt – adds flavor.
- Ground cinnamon – a great flavor boost for this banana bread recipe!
- Unsalted butter – I use unsalted butter when baking because I can control the amount of salt used in the recipe. The butter will be creamed with the sugar to add additional lift and rise in the bread.
- Light brown sugar – used to add sweetness.
- Granulated sugar – used for sweetness and aids in browning.
- Eggs – the egg white has a lot of protein which adds structure; the egg yolk is made of fat which adds tenderness and flavor.
- Sour cream – moisture that helps keep this banana bread extra moist!
- Mashed bananas – for flavor!
- Vanilla extract – used for flavor.
How to make Moist Banana Bread
To make this moist banana bread recipe begin by whisking the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
To the bowl of a stand mixer, fitted with a paddle attachment, or using a hand mixer, beat the butter and both sugars on medium speed for 2-3 minutes or until well creamed.
Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
Add the sour cream, bananas, and vanilla extract and mix again.
Continue by adding the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Refrain from over mixing the batter. When you over mix, the gluten in the flour forms elastic gluten strands which results in a dense and chewy structure.
Pour the batter into a greased and floured 9″ x 5″ inch loaf pan. Bake for 70-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
Remove from the oven and let it sit in the loaf pan for 5-10 minutes. Gently remove the banana bread loaf from the pan and place on a wire rack to cool completely.
How to store Banana Bread
Bakers Tip: To prevent the banana bread from drying out cover with plastic wrap, aluminum foil, or place the bread in a zip top bag.
Tip for achieving perfectly moist banana bread: You can cover the bread when *slightly* warm to keep the moisture intact.
Can you store banana bread at room temperature? And how long does it last at room temperature? Banana bread will last for 1-2 days at room temperature.
How long does banana bread last in the fridge? Once covered properly, banana bread can store in the fridge for up to 1 week.
Can you freeze banana bread? Yes! Cover the banana bread with a double layer of plastic wrap and then cover with aluminum foil; banana bread will keep in the freezer for 2-3 months. When ready to eat the banana bread remove it from the freezer and place in the fridge to thaw.
More Delicious Recipes
And don’t forget to subscribe to Salt & Baker! You’ll be the first to know when new recipes go live!
Moist Banana Bread Recipe
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter – softened at room temperature
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar – packed
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs – at room temperature
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 2 cups ripe mashed bananas – about 4 medium sized bananas
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Adjust oven rack to middle position. Preheat oven to 325° F. Grease and flour a 9×5 inch loaf pan.
- In a medium bowl whisk the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and cinnamon. Set aside.
- In stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment (or using a hand mixer) beat the butter and sugars until well creamed, about 2 minutes on medium speed. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add the sour cream, bananas, and vanilla and mix until fully combined about 1 minute.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for 70-80 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes carefully remove the loaf from the pan and let cool completely on a wire rack.
- Cover and store banana bread at room temp for 2 days, or in fridge for up to 1 week.