Potato Pepper Jack Soup
This Potato Pepper Jack Soup is inspired by the famous pepper jack cheese that so many of us love! This potato soup recipe is loaded with vegetables and of course, delicious pepper jack cheese!
Come fall, I’m all about the comfort foods, especially soup. You can never have too many soup recipes.
I’m adding another soup recipe to the mix and you’ll be so glad I finally shared this recipe with you. It’s one I adapted from my aunt.
This is an easy soup recipe (seriously so easy) that will have you hooked with just one bite!
How to make Potato Pepper Jack Soup
First, boil the potatoes and carrots in a medium sized saucepan until they are fork tender. Drain the water and set the potatoes and carrots aside.
Next, cook the bacon. You can use microwavable bacon and then just chop it up after you’ve cooked it in the microwave. OR feel free to cook the chopped bacon in a skillet. Either way, you need to cook some bacon. No skipping this step! The bacon makes it dang good.
What would a soup be without onions? So many soups have onions in them, right?!
Place the onions in a dutch oven or large pot over medium heat and cook for 2 minutes. Add the diced bell peppers into the mix and cook for 4 minutes.
The recipe says to use a green bell pepper and red bell pepper. I thought I had purchased a green pepper but returned home to find out I hadn’t. Sooooo a yellow pepper from the garden made due.
Add some garlic to the peppers and cook for another minute.
Now, add some delicious butter! We are making a roux.
Once melted add the flour, cooking it for about a minute. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly. Stirring while you’re adding the milk prevents clumps from forming.
Add the potatoes, carrots, and bacon to the pot along with the chicken broth and seasonings.
Bring everything to a simmer.
Just before serving add the pepper jack cheese, stirring to melt the cheese.
Feel free to garnish this soup with even more pepper jack cheese or jalapeños to really amp up the spice level!
Craving more? SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there!
Potato Pepper Jack Soup
- 4 bacon strips - chopped
- 1 red pepper - diced
- 1 green bell pepper - diced (or yellow pepper)
- 1 yellow onion - diced
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- 4 cup potatoes - peeled and medium chopped
- 2 carrots - diced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 cups milk - (any kind will do, the higher fat percentage the creamer the soup)
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 12 oz pepper jack cheese - shredded
- Fill a medium size sauce pan with water and place it over medium heat. Add the chopped potatoes and carrots to the water. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender. Drain. Set aside.
- In a dutch oven pan set over medium heat, add the bacon. Cook until the bacon is crisp. Remove from the pan and place the bacon on a paper towel lined plate. Chop the bacon into smaller bite size pieces. Set aside.
- Drain most of the bacon grease, keeping about 1 tablespoon of the bacon grease in the pan. Add the onions and cook for 2 minutes.
- Then add the diced bell peppers and cook for 4 minutes, stirring often. Add the garlic and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the 2 tablespoons of butter to the veggies, stir until melted.
- Add the flour, stirring until it's coating all of the vegetables. Cook for 1 minute. Slowly add the milk, stirring constantly.
- Add the potatoes and carrots to the sauce and vegetables. Stir to combine.
- Add the chicken broth, bacon, dried thyme, pepper, and salt. Bring everything to a simmer.
- Just before serving, add the shredded pepper jack cheese, stir to melt. Serve warm. *