Broccoli Potato Soup
This broccoli potato soup is a perfect dinner for those cold winter nights! It requires very little ingredients and it’s ready to eat in about 30 minutes.
Do you like broccoli? I do. I prefer it swimming in butter and sprinkled with salt.
If you eat it this way you don’t even recognize that you’re eating broccoli. However, I’m trying to be “healthier” by not adding so much butter to my cooked broccoli. I’m back on the exercising train (been at it for 4 straight weeks now… 6 days a week), go me! So I’m trying to be better about how much butter I slather on my veggies. How do you eat your veggies? Let me know in the comments below…
I have a 3 year old boy, and he never eats soup. But to my pleasant surprise, he ate a full bowl of this broccoli potato soup.
This soup has good flavor, but it’s not overpowering. When you eat it you don’t get an overwhelming flavor of pure broccoli. (Maybe that’s why my 3 year old loved it.. it didn’t taste like he was eating mouthfuls of pure broccoli).
This broccoli potato soup is paired perfectly with tender potatoes, diced onion, and a small hint of garlic.
Before I forget I should mention I added cheese. 2 heaping cups of cheese! You can tailor how much cheese you add to your soup, but I’ll be honest, you want the cheese.
My family and I really loved this soup! I hope you do too.
Craving more? SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there!
Broccoli Potato Soup
- 2 T butter
- 1 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 3 potatoes, chopped. (it came out to about 3 3/4 cups for me)
- 4 cups low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups chopped broccoli
- 1 cup half and half
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- In a pan over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the onions and cook for 4-5 minutes or until translucent. Add the garlic. Cook for 1 minute more. Add the potatoes to the pan and the 4 cups of chicken broth. Bring it to a boil, and then turn the heat to medium low. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about 9 minutes. (Depending on how big or small you chopped your potatoes, it might not take as long for the potatoes to become tender).
- Remove from heat. Carefully scoop out 1 1/2 -2 cups of the soup and potatoes. Set aside. Using an immersion blender, gently blend the contents in the pan. I didn't blend mine very much, I like a chunkier soup. I probably blended for 10-15 seconds is all. If you don't have an immersion blender just skip this step. The soup is great without the immersion blender!
- Add the 2 cups of reserved potatoes and soup back into the pan. Now add the broccoli, salt, pepper, and half and half. Bring to a gentle boil and cook for 5-6 minutes or until the broccoli is no longer firm (but not soft).*
- Remove from heat. Add the cheese. Stir until melted. Serve immediately. Top with additional cheese if desired.