Sesame Cilantro Noodle Bowl
This sesame cilantro noodle bowl is a quick dinner for those crazy weeknights. I know your family will go crazy for it!
During the past month this sesame cilantro noodle bowl made the appearance on our dinner table 4X!!! No lie, people. I made it once, was completely obsessed. And made it again, and again, and again. My husband had to tell me we needed to venture out and make something different.
When I come across an easy dinner and one that I love, I can’t help but repeat it multiple times that month. You do it too… I know you do!
This recipe is from my good friend Natalie at Life Made Simple, click here for her version.
I altered her recipe by doing a few things differently. First, I used bottled chicken (soooo much faster than cooking your own). I didn’t have regular peanuts, so I used cashews. Last but not least, I only used a 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes. I can’t handle the heat like some people! Now, if you don’t have bottled chicken in your home, go ahead and grill 1 or 2 chicken breasts. The peanuts are optional. I add them because it adds a great texture and an additional nutty flavor.
Start by boiling water. I always add a couple teaspoons of salt to my boiling pasta water. Once you get the water boiling, add the spaghetti noodles. I cook mine until aldente. You don’t want the noodles to be overly soft. If you were to pull a noodle out and taste it, it shouldn’t have a crunch, rather a distinct chewiness to it.
Once you’ve placed the noodles in the water you can start making the sauce. Add all of the ingredients except for the red pepper flakes. Let it cook for 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and add the red pepper flakes. If you like spicy food, feel free to add more than 1/4 tsp. We thought 1/4 tsp was perfect for us. There was a spiciness, but not the “I’m a fire breathing dragon!!” kind of feel, if you know what I mean.
Add the diced green onions and chopped cilantro, mix, and eat up. I know your family will love this simple dinner meal, we sure do!
Sesame Cilantro Noodle Bowl
- 1 lb (or 16 oz) Spaghetti noodles
- 1-2 chicken breasts or 1 1/2-2 cups bottled chicken
- 1/3 cup sesame oil
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2-3/4 cup cilantro I love cilantro so I always add 3/4 cup.
- 3/4 cup peanuts, or whatever salty nuts you have on hand
- 1/2 cup sliced green onions
- If using raw chicken breasts, heat a skillet over medium heat. Add olive oil and cook chicken until they've reached an internal temperature of 165 degrees Fahrenheit. Transfer to a cutting board and dice the chicken.
- In a large pot over medium heat, bring water to boil. If you like to salt your pasta water, go ahead and add 2-3 tsp of salt to the water. Once water is boiling add the spaghetti noodles. Cook according to package directions or until al dente.
- While the noodles are boiling, in a small saucepan, whisk the sesame oil, vegetable oil, soy sauce, garlic powder, salt, and honey. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes, whisking constantly. Remove from heat. Add the crushed red pepper flakes.
- When pasta has finished cooking, drain the water. Add the diced chicken (or shredded bottled chicken), the sauce, cilantro, green onions, and nuts to the pasta. Stir to combine. Serve immediately.
Recipe adapted from Life Made Simple.