Chickpea Curry Recipe
This Chickpea Curry Recipe will quickly become your new favorite go-to meal! This dish is full of that warm curry flavor. It has the perfect balance of sweetness and heat due to the honey and sriracha sauce. It’s easy to prepare AND healthy! This Indian dish is the perfect way to spice up your dinner menu.
How do you feel about Indian food? Indian food is one of my favorite cuisines.
If you don’t make Indian food often or if you’re hesitant to try this recipe, swallow your fears and just MAKE IT! Trust me on this one, you’re going to love it!
I’m a bit obsessed with this Chickpea Curry recipe. I make it once a month. This recipe is amazing and has soooo much flavor! Once you make this recipe you’ll quickly agree that chickpeas turn out to be the perfect vehicle for curry.
A nice bonus to this recipe is that I use canned garbanzo beans (AKA chickpeas). It speeds up the process and helps this recipe come together in just over 30 minutes.
I love this Chickpea Curry so much, that when we have leftovers I dibs all of them! I don’t let my husband eat any of the leftovers. Ha!! It’s true.
What can I say? I’m very selfish when it comes to food 😊
Here’s a quick video illustrating how to make this Chickpea Curry recipe. Or if videos aren’t your thing, skip over it and continue reading.
How do you make Chickpea Curry
- Heat a pan over medium heat. Add butter and chopped onions to the pan. Cook until the onions are browned and turn translucent.
- Add the curry powder and garlic.
- Add the chicken stock (or vegetable stock) and stir to combine everything.
- Add the coconut milk, chickpeas (or garbanzo beans), honey, and sriracha to the pan. Bring everything to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and simmer for 15 minutes. Simmering it will help the flavors meld together.
- Adjust seasonings by adding salt and pepper, or more sriracha sauce if you want a spicier dish.
- Serve the chickpea curry over rice and top with cilantro. This dish would also be great served with naan!
If you make this Chickpea Curry recipe, come back and leave a comment and let me know what you thought! I love hearing from my readers!
And if you’re looking for more easy dinner ideas, check out these recipes:
- Massaman Curry
- Curry Chicken and Rice
- Sesame Cilantro Noodle Bowl
- Bowtie Festival
- Reverse Stuffed Peppers and Brown Rice
Craving more? SUBSCRIBE TO SALT & BAKER to get new recipes delivered straight to your inbox! Simply enter your email in a subscription box located on the right hand side of the blog or scroll below the recipe and sign up there!
This Chickpea Curry recipe is full of that warm curry flavor! It has the perfect balance of sweetness and heat due to the honey and sriracha sauce.
- 2 1/2 cups Basmati Rice
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large yellow onion chopped (about 2 heaping cups)
- 2 1/4 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 1/4 cups chicken stock (or vegetable stock)
- 2 15.5 oz cans garbanzo beans drained and rinsed
- 1 13.5 oz can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2-1 tablespoon Sriracha sauce or more to taste if you like spicier foods
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Cook the rice according to package directions.
In a large pot over medium to medium-low temperature, melt the butter. Add the onions. Cook until soft and brown, about 12-15 minutes. Add the curry powder and garlic. Stir. Cook for one minute more.
Pour in the chicken (or vegetable) stock. Stir well, making sure to scrape the brown bits from the bottom of the pan.
Add the chickpeas, coconut milk, honey, and sriracha to the pan. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to a simmer and simmer for 10-15 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste and adjust additional seasonings (more sriracha or honey if desired).
Serve the chickpea curry over the rice and top with cilantro if desired.
Recipe adapted from Ree Drummond