Indian Butter Cauliflower
This vegetarian Indian Butter Cauliflower recipe has a creamy spiced sauce with freshly cooked cauliflower. This healthy dinner option takes just 30 minutes to make! And will be delicious for your family while getting more vegetables in your diet!
Cauliflower is a popular vegetable around here. If you love cauliflower too be sure to make these amazing roasted cauliflower tacos.
A Healthy and Easy Dinner
This recipe is a lot like my Indian Butter Chicken recipe. Except it’s completely vegetarian! I love swapping out cauliflower for chicken. It’s a simple and easy way to make dinner a little bit healthier. This is also a great gluten-free dinner option. When it comes to a vegetarian or gluten-free diet, you should never have to sacrifice for flavor!
If you’re looking for a vegan option, this recipe will need a few modifications for the yogurt and cream, but it’s definitely possible.
I love making Indian food for my family. I think it’s important for my kids to have an opportunity to taste foods from a variety of cultures. It’s also important to introduce new flavor combinations and spices to your kids’ palates.
One of my boys is in a program at school to help him learn Spanish. It’s common knowledge that the younger you are, the easier it is for you to pick up a new language. Why shouldn’t it be the same way for food? I was well into my adult years before I grew to appreciate spicy food. It’s fun making new foods — and foods from cultures with new tastes — for my kids. I hope you enjoy it too!
Ingredients You’ll Need
- Cauliflower — cut into florets (about 4 -5 cups) or 1 medium sized cauliflower.
- Butter — can use salted or unsalted. I always opt for unsalted butter in my cooking and baking.
- Garlic cloves — minced. I have this exact one and use it almost every day.
- Ginger root — grated. When at the grocery store, select a firm piece of ginger. To prepare the ginger root for cooking use a metal spoon to scrape away the skin of the ginger. The skin should come off with a gentle scrape. You can now grate the fresh ginger that you just revealed beneath the skin coating.
- Cayenne pepper — The amount I add is family friendly. Add more for more heat.
- Tomato sauce
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Garam masala — which is a spice blend widely used in Indian cuisine. The spice is made using cinnamon, mace, peppercorns, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and cardamon pods that are then toasted in a pan to release their aromatic flavors. Once that is completed the spices are ground to a powder.
- Heavy cream — I prefer to use heavy creamy because it makes the sauce nice and creamy, however, if you’re looking to make this dish even healthier you can substitute half and half.
- Cilantro, chopped
How to Make Indian Butter Cauliflower
- Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Once melted, stir in the garlic, grated ginger root, cayenne, tomato sauce, yogurt, garam masala, salt, cardamom, cumin and water.
- Bring the sauce to a boil. Once boiling, stir in the cauliflower florets. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook the cauliflower for 8-10 minutes or until fork tender.
- Once the cauliflower is fork tender, stir in the heavy cream and cilantro. Serve over cooked rice with a side of homemade naan.
I mean, this recipe is so easy and incredibly flavorful!! I’m anxious to hear how y’all like it!
Tools Used for This Recipe
- For an extra kick, add more cayenne pepper!
- As discussed in the “ingredients” portion, select a piece of ginger root that is firm and without wrinkles. To prepare the ginger root for cooking use a metal spoon (like a cereal spoon) to scrape away the skin of the ginger. The skin should come off with a gentle scrape. You can now grate the fresh ginger using a small grater or citrus zester.
- I highly suggest making some of the homemade naan I suggested above. Indian food just seems to be incomplete without some naan!
- If you’re looking for a completely gluten free meal, just make sure you swap out the normal flour for gluten free flour in the naan if you make it!
- Is Indian Butter Cauliflower vegan? —This recipe has Greek yogurt and some heavy cream. So, if you want to make it vegan, you’ll have to make sure you get a vegan yogurt option and soy or almond milk. If they have a vegan cream option, go for that. I’m not very familiar with vegan-free dairy options, so if you make it vegan, let me know in the comments what ingredients you found that worked!
- Is Indian food spicy? — The great news of making Indian food at home is that you can control the level of spice you add to the dish. If you love spicy food, add more cayenne pepper to the dish! I have some little mouths I’m feeding, so while I want to expose them to more complex flavors, I also want to make sure they can eat the dish without complaining about how spicy it is! You can make similar adjustments as well.
If You Love This Indian Cauliflower Recipe, Try These:
Indian Butter Cauliflower
- 1 large head cauliflower - cut into florets, about 4-5 cups
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 4 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 inch ginger root - grated
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper - 1/4 tsp is family friendly, add more for more heat
- 1 14.5 oz can tomato sauce
- 1/3 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 3 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3 tablespoons cilantro - chopped
- In a large skillet over medium-low heat melt the butter. Once melted stir in the garlic, grated ginger root, cayenne, tomato sauce, yogurt, garam masala, salt, cardamom, cumin and water.
- Bring the sauce to a boil. Once boiling stir in the cauliflower florets. Reduce the heat to a simmer. Cover and cook the cauliflower for 8-10 minutes or until fork tender.
- Once the cauliflower is fork tender stir in the heavy cream and cilantro. Serve over cooked rice with a side of homemade naan.