Apple Cider Bundt Cake
This Apple Cider Bundt Cake is a spiced apple cider cake that is soft, moist and has the perfect balance of sweetness and fall spices. Made with apple cider and applesauce, this delicious apple cake is the best fall cake!
If you are looking for How to Use Apples, then this Apple Recipes round up will be perfect for you! There are tons of delicious sweet and savory recipes that incorporate apples! For more delicious coffee cake recipes, try my Chocolate Chip Coffee Cake and my Pumpkin Coffee Cake recipes!
Why This Recipe Works
- Perfect morning coffee cake. This apple cider coffee cake is the perfect treat for breakfast, brunch or dessert!
- Spiced apple cider cake. This apple cider bundt cake uses applesauce and apple cider for a delicious apple flavor!
- Moist cake. Thanks to the vegetable oil and the applesauce, this apple cider donut loaf cake is super moist and delicious.
- Beautiful bundt cake. There’s really something so classy and pretty about a bundt cake. I don’t have to do anything fancy to a bundt cake to make it look amazing — it already does because of the beautiful pan! If you’re looking for other delicious bundt cake recipes, you should definitely try my Gingerbread Bundt Cake, Blood Orange Cardamom Bundt Cake, Chocolate Buttermilk Bundt Cake, and my Lemon Poppy Seed Bundt Cake.
- Apple Cider: This is important since apple juice doesn’t have the same flavor as a spiced apple cider. See my Recipe Tips section for how to make your own apple cider from apple juice.
- Whole Wheat Flour: This apple cider coffee cake uses a mixture of all purpose flour and whole wheat flour. I love it when we can add in a more whole grain flour option!
- Apple Pie Spice: If you don’t have apple pie spice, you can make it at home! You’ll need cinnamon, nutmeg, allspice, ginger, and cardamom. To make 1 Tablespoon of apple pie spice (which is more than you’ll need in this recipe) combine 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 3/4 tsp nutmeg, 1/2 tsp allspice and 1/4 tsp cardamom.
- Vegetable Oil: Cakes with oil are much more moist than cakes made with butter. This is due to oil being a liquid at room temperature.
- Unsweetened Applesauce: Adding applesauce is a great way to add extra moisture to your cakes, especially in an apple cider coffee cake!
- Eggs: Make sure your eggs are at room temperature before you use them. This really makes a difference in how your cakes will bake and rise.
- Reduce apple cider. In a small pan over medium heat, heat the apple cider to a boil. Simmer until reduced by half. Set aside 1 cup of reduced apple cider and let cool to room temperature.
- Whisk dry ingredients. Add the all-purpose flour, wheat flour, baking powder, baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp of cinnamon, the apple pie spice and the salt.
- Combine wet ingredients. Add 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar, brown sugar, reduced apple cider, applesauce, vanilla extract and the eggs to a medium bowl. Whisk until combined.
- Combine ingredients. Add the wet ingredients to the bowl with the flour mixture. Whisk until just combined.
- Bake. Pour the apple cider cake batter into a bundt pan that has been sprayed with cooking spray that contains flour. Bake the apple cider donut bundt cake at 350°F for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out with a few moist crumbs. Remove from the oven and cool in the pan on a wire rack set over a baking sheet for 15 minutes.
- Invert the apple cider bundt cake. Invert the apple cider cake onto the wire rack set over the baking sheet. Using a pastry brush, brush with melted butter and sprinkle the top of the cake with a cinnamon sugar mixture made up of 1/ cpu sugar and 1/2 tsp cinnamon. Let cool on the cooling rack then slice and serve!
Bundt pans need to be thoroughly greased before using. You can grease a bundt pan with room temperature butter then dust it with flour. Or use shortening and flour. You can also spray liberally with a cooking spray containing flour. I use nonstick spray with flour in it to grease my bundt pans.
If you don’t have spiced apple cider but you do have apple juice, you can make your own fresh apple cider. Place the apple juice on the stove and add about 1/8 tsp of nutmeg, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1 tsp all spice to the 2 cups of apple juice. (Optional, add 1-2 tablespoons of brown sugar to sweeten it). Simmer until reduced by half.
I used a 12-cup bundt pan and had room to spare after it was fully baked.
Make Ahead, Storing, and Freezing
Store the apple cider coffee cake covered at room temperature for 2 days.
To freeze, let cool completely then double wrap in plastic wrap and store in the freezer for up to 1 month. Remove and let thaw in the fridge overnight. You can also freeze in individual slices.
You technically can, but I highly recommend getting apple cider. It is made with extra spices so it has a sharper and richer flavor than normal apple juice. However, if you don’t have apple cider, you can always make it! Place apple juice on the stove and add about 1/8 tsp of nutmeg, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1 tsp allspice to the 2 cups of apple juice. (Optional, add 1-2 tablespoons of brown sugar to sweeten it). Simmer until reduced by half.
I recommend using the portions in the recipe. While you can use all wheat flour, you should remember that wheat flour has a coarser texture (which is how it has more nutrients and fiber than white flour), so that will affect your bake. You can read more about substituting wheat flour from Better Homes and Gardens.
The difference between light and dark brown sugar is how much molasses is in it. Dark brown sugar has more molasses and will bring a more toffee-like or caramel-like flavor to the apple bundt cake. You can read more about the differences and uses of light and dark brown sugar at Taste of Home.
Nope! The term coffee cake comes from the fact that people will cut a slice of a cake and enjoy it with their morning coffee. Typically coffee cake includes some kinds of warm spices like cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger, allspice, etc.
More Apple Recipes
- Apple Cinnamon Scones
- Apple Fritter Cake
- Caramel Apple Dip
- Easy Apple Crisp
- Cranberry Apple Cider
- Apple Pie Caramel Apples
- Cinnamon Baked Apples Recipe
Apple Cider Bundt Cake
- 2 cups apple cider - (see notes)
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon - divided
- 3/4 teaspoon apple pie spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar - divided
- 1/4 cup brown sugar - packed
- 3/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs - at room temperature
- 3 tablespoons butter - melted (salted or unsalted)
- Place the apple cider in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and reduce the liquid by half. You will need 1 cup of reduced apple cider. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease a 10 or 12 cup bundt pan. (I use cooking spray with flour in it to grease my bundt pans). I used a 12 cup bundt pan and had room to spare after it was fully baked.
- In a large bowl whisk the flours, baking powder, baking soda, 1 1/2 tsp cinnamon, apple pie spice and salt.
- In another bowl whisk 1 ½ cups granulated sugar, brown sugar, the reduced apple cider, oil, applesauce, vanilla, and eggs.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk to combine. Transfer the batter to the prepared bundt pan.
- Bake for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean with a few moist crumbs on it. Transfer to a wire rack set over a rimmed baking sheet and let cool for 15 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling in the pan, mix the remaining ¼ cup of sugar and ½ tsp cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Invert the warm bundt cake onto the wire rack. Brush the cake with the melted butter then sprinkle the cake with the cinnamon sugar mixture. Let the cake finish cooling completely before slicing and serving.
- Store the cake covered, at room temperature for 2 days.